Re-threaded spark plug hole

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Stainless, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    I haven’t had my boat out for a while because of the hours at work but the last time I had it out it wasn't running too good. Previous post about it here: http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21080
    I thought I had it fixed but when I took it out it still didn't run real clean. It was hard to keep it idling and it only had slow idle and fast. It would crap out real bad and then kick in and run great at full throttle almost instantly. I just put it up until tonight when I finally got some time to work on it. I pulled the carb off and apart and cleaned it the best I could with two cans of carb cleaner. I'm going to flush the gas tank tomorrow and add the inline fuel filter with some new gas as well. Who knows if it will run better or not? While I was at it I pulled the two plugs and when trying to put it back in I noticed one plug hole had a thread broke lose. I discovered that both holes have had inserts put in it so I pulled that one out and added a new insert. Well the tip of the insert broke off inside the cylinder before I could grab it will pliers. I turned the motor over a few times to try and blow it out. Is it possible that this can go out the exhaust hole? I looked in there with a flash light and didn't see it any where. I was hoping to fire the motor up tomorrow and see if it is going to run any cleaner but now I don't know if I'm going to have to pull the head or what. One other thing while I'm posting. I pulled the bowl and sprayed the jet holes and everything out real good with cleaner but after looking at pic 12 in Bobpaul's carb tutorial; I noticed this carb didn't have the low speed pick up tube inside it like in the picture. Is that only on some of the larger engines?

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I'm not a mechanic, but I can spell it :big_smile: and if some thing went down the plug hole and you can't get it out the plug hole I do believe your going to have to pull the head. You might try a magnet down the hole but you will never be sure you got it all if you don't pull the head. I wouldn't turn it over any more until I got the head off and cleaned out real good. I wouldn't quit until I found what it was that went down there or you'll just get to do it later when it has really torn something up inside. Again, I'm not a mechanic and I'm sure others much more qualified than I will answer your post. I guess I just wanted to have you quit turning it over until someone else puts there two cents in and says it's OK but I'll be amazed if they feel it's OK to turn it over with a piece of metal in there. Keep us posted on what happens and good luck!

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Get the head pulled and get that piece out of there.

Not all carbs have that low speed pick up tube. Some of the older carbs are cast and drilled with a channel that leads up to the idle citcuit.

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Don't waste your time with the magnet either, the inserts are made of Non-Magnetic stainless steel.

Pull the head & Be done with it

5. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    Well I pulled the head and had no success finding the piece. It must have gone down one of the ports in there. I went ahead and put the head back on without replacing the gasket. I figured if it's going to go down; there is no reason to have any more money in it than I have to. I got it to fire up and ran it for about five minutes. I'm going to take it out tomorrow and run it along the bank to see if the carb cleaning made a difference. I'm almost to the point of hoping it will go down so I can find me another motor, preferably a four-stroke. With that piece disappearing in there it's a little undependable in my view plus the head gasket could probably go at any time.