re- thinkin circle hooks

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Steve Douglas, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    dont know if its just me or is anyone else blinding the 5-10 lbers by using 8# circle hooks, i havnt kept an accurate count on fish but i do know its upwards over 100 fish i have blinded this season! all i use are circle hooks so i dont know if changing to a different style would elimante the problem or not! i dont want to preach conservation but keep blinding the fish! they only have two eyes, so if i put one eye out on my trip and another guy catches him later and puts the other one out the fish is screwed!

has anybody else experianced this with 8# circle hooks?

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Steve, I use the 10/0 King Kahles exclusively, now. I used to use 9/0 cat maxx. All big hooks tend to blind fish on occassion. I think it is just one thing a fisherman has to deal with. The smaller fish( ten pounds and under) are the ones that seem to get it the worst. I doubt there is much you can do to prevent it, short of not fishing. Vern

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I can't think of any I have blinded with circles, but have had many hooks close. I do remember catching a big channel this year with BOTH eyes blind. The fish was otherwise as healthy as a horse. I think they rely on the other senses more heavily than eyesight.

Bill in SC

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i use 8/0 octopus circle and haven't blinded any cattys yet, all my hook sets have been in the corner of the mouth, i don't get any hooks in the gullet either, been very lucky that way. caught a couple in the whisker by no eyes.

5. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I caught a one eyed channel something happened to it ,and another had a large chunk missing out of its lower jaw like cleft palate but reversed probably from a musky hitting it when it was smaller it was 6 pounds when I caught it

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I think that with any kind of hook you are occasionally going to blind a fish or two. When you are catching large numbers of fish, then that count will naturally rise. In this case you have to weigh the lesser of the two evils. I have blinded a few fish with circle hooks, but I have not ripped the guts out of any. So I figure I am doing my part for conservation.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree with brother hilljack, any hook has the ability to blind any fish. But, I see what your saying, circles are designed to turn that way. I fish j-styles only for flatheads, and have caught em in every corner possible, but when i have used circles for channel cats... they often get what your saying... You have a valid point! rollo

8. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well i do alot of driftin! and i only notice it, when i catch a drift fish! it really only happens to the smaller fish 5-10 lbs evrything else is good! hooked in the corner of the mouth!

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use 9/0 King Kahles and usually hook the fish in the corner of the mouth. Havent hooked one in the eye yet. However I did hook a Gar this year and the hook went straight up through the top of its head and out between the eyes. Those are some sharp hooks!!!Bad to the bone!!!!:big_smile:

10. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i have seen the same thing alot sincei started using circles... i have even seen them get both eyes poked out when using a stinger hook and then end up with a hook in both eyes !!

11. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Why not drop back to 4/0 or 5/0 hooks? It's helped me with it. If I know I'm probably gonna be catchin 5 lbers where I'm fishing.

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thats probably because the distance to the eye is Way to far for the hook usually!:eek:oooh::big_smile: rollo

13. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i can answer this one for ya!! steve is going to tell ya that a 4/0 hook wont fit in the corner of that 100#ers mouth when he hits!!! :big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

14. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Steve, I use 8/0 Gammies and have only had that problem a couple times.

15. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have noticed it when using larger hooks on smaller fish. Not quite as often, but on occassion. If all I'm catching are smallr fish, I usually tend to use a 3/0 or 5/0 hook.

16. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Ive hooked a couple of small blues in the eye with the king kahle hooks but never have with the Gama 8/0 circles.

17. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I am always learning something new !

18. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    I primarily use 6/0 octopus sickle hooks, and drift fish as well. Usually I get 1 fish per trip in the eye, while most hook-sets are in the corner of the mouth. Seems like on fish smaller than 7#-8# this is more frequent. I hate when this happens, but don't know how to avoid it.

19. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I've blinded a number of small cats.:006: Even hooked one coming out the top of the skull (he was alive). Tears at your heart strings a bit, hate to hurt the little critters.

20. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i noticed that i was eye hookin alot when i was using 12/0 circles. I dropped down to 5/0 and 7/0 and the only ones i hooked consistanly there was the fish around 3lbs
    i have switched hooks back to j-hook and still have not gut but one or two while drifting