Re-loading

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by 223reload, Jan 20, 2007.

1. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Im wondering just how many of us are reloaders i've been reloading since i was 15 started out with shotgun shells and got into rifle cart. in my 20's i reload lots andreally enjoy being able to develop loads that suit my guns all of my rifles shoot 1/2 " or less at 100 yards and i know id never get acc. like that from factory loads . my calibers include .223, 30-30, 7mm/08, and 243 as well as 12, 20, and if i ever find a set of dies to replace those stolen .410 again

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I'm still doing my .06, and 7mm-08, but that's all. I've considered doing the .308, but we hardly ever use it. I've tried to match a reload to the Hornady Light Magnum loads for the 7-08, but haven't been able to. We use the handloads for target practice, but grandson Doug likes the Hornady's better for hunting. The reloads shoot just fine, but it's a confidence thing. That HLM is a rocket, and every deer he's shot has dropped in it's tracks, except one where he got off aim a little, so he's just partial to that load for hunting.

3. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I reload for my 30-06, don't really play with it much. Found a good load that pushes over 3000 fps, very accurate so I stick with it. There is about a 3 inch drop between my 150 grain hornady ballistics tips and the 180 grain power points.

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    When i was in high school back in Clovis a friend of mine and i were co-owners of a 45-70 trapdoor. We use to make up re-loads for it, but the only way we could shoot it was laying down. I shot a coyote at a little over 200 yds. with it once. The first time i shot it standing up, i ended up on my butt. LOL. That was quite a gun.!!!

5. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I shoot several thousand rounds of trap every year so I load a lot of 12 guage, I also have a Contender and an Encore so I reload from .17 Rem. to 45/70 and every thing in between, I guess I have over 40 different die sets, I guess you could say I'm hooked, or just don't spend enough time on the lake.

6. barefootarkie

barefootarkie New Member

State:
    central Ar
    I got into handloading in 1999. I load 9mm, 38spl,357m, 44m, 243, 257r, 25-06, 6.5x55, 7.5x55, 308, 30-06, and 45-70. All is done on a Rock Chucker single stage press. Would like to try shotshell loading sometime. It's a great way to spend a rainy day and I get a lot of satisfaction when my reloads bring down Mr. Whitetail. I haven't figured out if I save much money by handloading, but I do know I have plenty of ammo to shoot when I go to the gun range.
    Jimmy

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use a Rock Chucker, too. I reload .38, .357, .45, 30-30, 30-06, and .270. There's never a shortage of ammo at my house!

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Another Rock Chucker here...I started pistol reloading in the early 70's. Have reloaded and cast bullets for several thousands of rounds of .357 and .38 SPL. Wife and I both shoot pistols. Started reloading 12 ga shotgun shells about the same time.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well guys i might be a little behind the times so to speak but i bought a lee challenger press and it the only press i got . served me well over the years its slow using the scoops but i get really consistant ammo with it besides im sorta cheap i like to get the best for the least if i could have in the beginning i prob. would have went with rcbs but im happy with my setup i just have to be a little more patient

10. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    When I was in to trapshooting I used to reload around 10,000 rounds every year. Now that I'm no longer trapshooting I don't reload many,except when I'm going dove hunting or the son-in-law and grandsons need some loads for trapshooting. I've still got all of my trapshooting equipment,just don't use much anymore.
    Glenn

11. barefootarkie

barefootarkie New Member

State:
    central Ar
    I've heard alot of people bad mouth LEE presses and products. About half of my dies are LEE and a number of my accessories are too. While I have not used a LEE press, I'm very satisfied with the LEE products I have used. I retired my RCBS case trimmer a few years back and started useing the LEE case length trimmers and wouldn't consider anything else. IMHO, I think LEE turns out good products at a great price. Jimmy

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    My first shotgun shell loader was a Lee... it loaded one at a time.

My bullet mold and lead furnace are Lee.

13. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jimmy, I happen to use RCBS equipment that I bought in a package deal, but I have a couple of friends with Lee stuff, and they have gotten good service out of it. I guess it's like anything else, some folks think what they have is the only good stuff. hehe
    If Lee wasn't any good, they probably would not still be in business....:smile2:

14. toddrod

toddrod New Member

State:
    Vacherie,LA
    I shoot alot in USPSA and Steel Challenge competitions and reload 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP and 44 mag. I use a Dillon square Deal B and 650 XL to reload.