Re-Diversion 4/30/09

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by scwolf, May 1, 2009.

1. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Took off last night for the ReDiversion while Judy was working. Caught some small crappie at Russellville and went to set up on the bank. Bite was pretty slow, had a couple of small channels in the first two hours. About 3:30am Judy and I were texting while she was at lunch, when one rod loaded up. 8lb Channel..as I was reeling that one end another took off...20lb Blue. Flipped them both up on the bank, sent a reply to Judy on text.....3rd rod took off....15lb Blue...got the third fish laying on the bank..finished texting Judy....no more bites...LOL. Told her she was my lucky charm even when she wasn't there. Total for the night was 2 nice Blues...and 5 Channels with the biggest being 8lb. Female Blues last night....first females we've caught so far. Great night on the bank...weather perfect

2. Robbie, maybe you should text her more often:eek:oooh:
    i wouldif i were you. if i texted my wife at 3:30 am i better be looking the coast guard.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I'm a little surprised that she wasn't standing beside you before you finished the last text. :wink:

4. FISH ON!

FISH ON! New Member

State:
    south carolina
    where at do u fish on the canal at the only place ive fished it is below the st.stephen power plant

5. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    We fish above the St. Stephen fish lift......there is access on hwy 52,hwy 45, hwy 35 I believe(Rd. Leading to Russellville, and then there is an access gate at the Russellville boat landing. We fish all of these access points. You have to park at the gates then walk the canal, we have a cart for this because we usually get away from the gate points a little ways.

6. BigTex

BigTex New Member

State:
    SC
    I was going to the canal tonight off of 52 past (the hatchery?) I have never fished there for cats, but I've caught shad there. I asked a friend of mine to go and when he found out where I was talking about, he told me about a guy that had his windows knocked out of his truck there a couple of weeks ago. That kinda screws my plans up. Is there anywhere on the canal that you can see your vehicle while you fish? I am planning on leaving Andrews at about 7 this evening if I can find another place.

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've never had any problem at Arrowhead Landing, although I don't fish there at night very often. The area is lit up at night, and people come and go. Vandalism is something that could happen almost anywhere these days, unfortunately. Some folks I know leave their windows down and nothing of value inside. That's not for me, either. Post a report of your trip, please. :smile2:

8. BigTex

BigTex New Member

State:
    SC
    Had a guy tell me I should be able to keep my vehicle in sight at Russellville, but it has been many years since I have been there. I remember passing the GP plant and thats it. Thank the Lord for GPS.

9. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You can see your vehicle at Russellville, but you also have limited fishing available. You will have to fish right at the landing in order to keep your vehicle in sight. We fish down there alot and have never had our vehicle messed with. I have seen glass in the parking lot at Russellville where someone was out on the lake at night and had there vehicle broke into in the parking lot. The gaurds down there have gotten better able riding around now that the warmer weather is here and more people are fishing. The parking area below Saint Stephens fish lift is the darkest and the furthest off of the road. Russellville attracts more drunks because it is so easily accessible, had some come down there Thursday night right after I had finished catching bait and they just walked out on the dock and jumped in...lol

10. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey Ryan, not sure if you'll see this before you leave. You can park off the side of the road on highway 52 and step over the gaurdrail. That would let you keep your truck in view and let you move up and down the canal some if you wanted to hope this helps

11. BigTex

BigTex New Member

State:
    SC
    I think I am going to start off on Hwy 45, if I dont do any good there I will go to Russellville. I am going to have two kids with me so I dont want to fool around on the side of 52, but I will remember that for when I go by myself. I appreciate the info greatly! If you go fishing tonight you might run into me, I drive a burgandy ranger. Gonna fish all night.....hopefully.

12. BigTex

BigTex New Member

State:
    SC
    Skunked, nothing, notta, if the kids wouldnt of had fun, I would call it terrible. Gonna go back tomorrow night w/o them and take a little hike and stay until I see the sun rise. Kids got tired and we left Hwy. 45 about 2am

13. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
    I thought I might ride over by boat from Blacks next week and drift the re-diversion canal. I went over there once with a guide about 5 years ago early in the morning and we had a steady bite near the cable that crosses the canal. Anyone been in this area lately?

14. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Ryan, that's the thing about bank fishing down there it's usually feast or famine. Sometimes takes us all night just to produce a couple of quality fish. Next time you have the kids down there grab you some stink bait and let them fish for channels....we use to load the coolers with channels in the 2lb to 4lb range down there.

15. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Chris,

We have caught a few up towards that end from the bank....if the wind will let you drift on that side you could possibly pick up some nice blues.