Re-boarding ladder

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Old Bill, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Howdy,

I'm older than dirt...overweight...and not very agile! In other words, I'm too dang old and fat to climb back into my 14' fishing boat should I fall overboard!

Did I fail to mention that I'm also very clumsy?

So I decided that a simple boarding ladder might be something that might come in handy some day...or some night! The problem with some of the aluminum boat ladders I looked at is (1) They cost money! (2) They have to be stored somewhere on the boat...and most likely would not be stored where I could reach the ladder is I was in the water.

A transom mounted boarding ladder would be OK except for the fact that I didn't want to drill any holes in my Classic 1957 Richline aluminum boat!

So I ended up shamelessly copying a folding transom mounted wooden ladder that a friend Rob Rohde-Szudy made for his wooden sailing boat.

Here are several photos of the ladder showing it mounted on the transom of my boat using 4 SS bolts that use the existing holes. And, also with the ladder folded for storage and travel.

http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/Richline ladder open.1JPG.jpg

http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/Richline ladder closed right side.JPG

http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/Richline ladder closed front.jpg

I'm hoping never to actually have to use the ladder, but I do get some comfort knowing that it's there if I need it!

Old Bill

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i really dont need it yet, but i really like that design.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Bill I was planning on buying a re-boarding ladder. I consider building one also. Looks good.:big_smile:

4. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I put a reboarding ladder on the back of mine but it's store bought aluminum so not near as interesting as yours.:smile2:

5. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    That's a good lookin' ladder but never thought of putting a ladder on my boat because I couldn't climb it so I keep my butt in the seat so I won't fall out.

6. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Bill,Thanks for posting the ladder design.It is a lot harder to climb back in a boat than most think, even when you are not banged up.

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bill, you did a an excellent job!

And WELCOME to BOC.
    Sure is nice to see someone older than me on BOC... maybe more around and they're not admitting it. :smile2:

8. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Bill Thats A good looking ladder. I been wanting to build one for a pontoon boat. Right now I been think about A padded board to lay from my bait tank to my front deck to lay on for them 3 to 4 oclock naps.

9. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    hmmmm? i live in yuma az and it's hot here. i'm semi handi capped but i like to get into water once inawhile and cool off. right now, i'm using a metal ladder, but like you said, have to store it. after seeing your ladder, i'm now thinking that if i make one like it, only using a ?(only key i can find that is close) hook to hold on transom, why wouldn't it work? got to contemplate (or whatever) on this.
    thanks for idea.
    gary

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I keep a folding rope ladder on board that I bought from West MArine.The sides are high on my 21 ft CC and we do jump over and cool off on those hot summer days down at Santee.This ladder stores in a very small space and can be hooked to any cleat.Makes it nice for girls to get back aboard also.Before I got the ladder I used a fool proof method of getting folks back on the boat by shouting "GATOR" and pointing frantically.SOme peole got back on so fast they werent even wet!!!!:crazy::roll_eyes: A female guest got back aboard so fast she didnt have both parts of her bathing suit either which is why I got the ladder:smile2::embarassed:.I contemplated shouting it as they jumped over the side to see if levitation was indeed possible, but didnt want to get anybody hurt from contorting themselves out of shape.:wink::smile2::eek:oooh::big_smile:

11. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    nice idea, how about some plans or dimensions. i was thinking about a ladder for a boat.

12. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    GREAT JOB!!!! I My self am Disabled, and have been WORRYING about the same thing! The meds I take make me alittle easy to tip over when walking around the boat, especially when stepping up or down to the decks from the floor! I have had to catch myself a few times on the steering wheel to keep from flipping in!:crazy: I can be like a Weeble Wobble, but I do fall down!! LOL

The problem with the Alum. designs I have seen on line is that they are designed to go on a transom with a 12 Degree or less, and mine is close to 17 degrees. I think I will have to give your ladder a try!

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH FOR THE GREAT PICS and the IDEA ITSELF!!!
    Andy

P.S. I was wondering if you had a set of plans or partlist for your design??

13. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words!

cliff n york and BoxxerBoyDrew, I'll do some measuring and draw up some rough plans, etc, for the ladder that I built. I don't believe any of the dimensions are very critical, but, I'll show the ones for my ladder.

Be a day or so....cause I'm old and slow!!:smile2:

OLd Bill

14. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Okay, here are some rough drawings showing the measurements of my boarding ladder. I just used some scrap lumber I had on hand, and used four used house door hinges to reduce the cost. Some nice SS hinges would be nice, but my billfold was very empty that day!

By viewing the ladder photos in the Member Library you might be able to understand the drawings. If not drop me a note and I'll try to help.

http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/Ladder002.jpg

http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/Ladder001.jpg

Good luck,

Old Bill

15. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    Bill

A Method for you, or anyone else, to crawl back in your boat is not only a good idea but a must. A permanently mounted ladder will save your life.

I am fifty three and I am in good shape; however, I am putting a boarding ladder on my new boat as soon as I can get my hands on one.

Having a ladder in the boat is less than ideal. Having something in the boat is, in my opinion, very risky. As luck would have it, when you needed it, it would be tangled, under something, or out of reach.

A permanent ladder is even more important if you fish by yourself in cold water.

I understand why you do not want to drill holes in your boat; however, a few small holes might just save your life.

Good Luck,

Grits

16. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jim your next purchase may need to be a Bullet Proof Vest. Because one of those unfornuate girls is going to shoot you.:big_smile: