Re-Blueing

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by SuCoTraveler, Dec 20, 2006.

1. SuCoTraveler

SuCoTraveler New Member

State:
    Milan Kansas
    Anybody know what it takes to re-blue a rifle? Can a person do a good job by himself or should it be done by a gun smith?

2. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    my husband usually does his own and has done some of his friends with a kit he gets from wal-mart...looks just fine, and he's no professional at that stuff.

3. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    You can do it yourself and it turns out fine. Just buy the whole kit and follow the directions and you should be fine. I used the Birchwood Casey Perma Blue Liquid Gun Blue Kit.

4. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    ive used that same birchwood kit with good results, follow directions to the letter.

5. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    I did it years ago with a set from Wal-Mart and it turned out great. Here about six months ago I came into possession of a rusted up Marlin 30-30. The results were not the same with this gun. I'm not for sure what the difference in the blue products were but it didn't work worth a flip. I finally gave up and just decided to use this gun as a brush gun. I followed the directions to a T.

If this is already a nice gun, use caution in trying to do this yourself. Good luck.

6. SuCoTraveler

SuCoTraveler New Member

State:
    Milan Kansas
    We'll its' not the finest looking rifle in the world but it has great potential, So I will make it my own custom rifle, It's a remington 721 30-06, stock is worn and tattered but I have a real nice laminte stock with thumb hole picked out.
    Trigger guard needs replaced, and just re-blue the steel. Planning on floating the barrel and do some work on the rifleling, not sure what it's called but the gun smith that a freind knows shoots some "special" load down the barrel and helps the rifleing to be more accurate.

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Take it to the gunsmith for a better than factory bluing. The kits are fine for a refinish on an already blued gun.

If you want the recipe to brown the barrel, like the old muzzle loaders were, I can give you that.

8. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I would recommend taking it to a gunsmith but IMHO, the parkerized finish is far more durable than the blueing. Teflon coating is another option.

I think you will like it more for the long run. It holds up very well even against Saltwater. The marine patrol officers use it around here.

HTH, Elliot

9. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    unless the product has changed in the last fifteen years... AVOID that "special load" to use in the barrel. unless your rifling is totally shot, and by that i mean its so bad its useless, then go ahead and use a few of the abrasive rounds in there but keep in mind ya can only use them once. repeated use of them will fry the rifiling, or whats left of it.
    those things are only a tool of absolute last resort.

when i get a barrel thats got rifling so fouled its hard to see it with a bore light heres what i do... (but only on old nasty rifling that justifies such harsh treatment)...

put gun in a vise vertically, using tape or whatever to block the bore. if its been back bored u can use a rubber plug. fill the barrel with some of that foaming bore cleaner, hoppes nitro, or the like. let this sit a day or two.

drain the stuff out and vise the gun horizontally. using a cleaning rod with a bore brush mount the rod into the business end of a cordless screwdriver. (use a metal brush not nylon for this) being very liberal with the hoppes nitro or other solvent activate the drill and ream the barrel out sevreal times with it turning. run a few patches, apply more hoppes, let it sit another day or two, repeat process again but this time try to go up one brush size. for ex... for a thirty ought six us a brush for an 8mm mauser. .. u get the idea but only go up one size or you can get it stuck.

ream it out again with the drill then clean as usual.

yhea this is a lot of trouble but hey.... it sure beats shooting sand down one of my guns and it works 99 percent of the time.

10. SuCoTraveler

SuCoTraveler New Member

State:
    Milan Kansas
    Alright guess I'll skip the specaial load, but what is pakerized coating, and Browning the barel? educate me.:smile2: