Raystown Lake

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bass&cats, Jul 21, 2008.

1. bass&cats

bass&cats New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Anybody fishing Raystown lately? I done some fishing yesterday below the spillway with softshells trying to catch striper and caught a whole bunch of small catfish. I know of two diffrent guys who caught a 30 inch channel and the other a pretty big one, but didnt get the exact size. Also does anyone know how to get to the underwater city and is it any good or is it all too deep for catfish.

2. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Josh, I'm going to an auction Saturday morning in Saxton. I'll probably do some fishing by Weavers bridge afterwards. I'll let you know how I make out.

3. bass&cats

bass&cats New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    sounds good. Hopefully the fishing will be good I didnt do to good last night with the rain dropping the water tempurature. The catfish were biting realy lightly at night barly taking line. Just caught two small 13 inch channels and my friend caught a little 11 inch bullhead.

4. bass&cats

bass&cats New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I went to weavers fall bridge yesterday and didt get anything but a run on crayfish meat. and crayfish eating all my creek chubs.

5. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Well I took my new boat out on the lake last Monday and officially slimed, "christened" the boat. Caught two channel cats near what I later found out was James Creek launch area. The first one was almost 27" and went a little over 9 lbs. The second was 22" and was 6 1/2 lbs. They're eatin good in that lake. Both were caught on garlic chicken livers. I forgot to take my camera, dam!
    The reason I say I later found out that I was at James Creek launch is that I thought, much to my later dismay, that I was at Aitch launch. I had taken the boat about 8 or 9 miles up and down the lake just to see how she ran and found my way back to the no-wake area outside of where I thought I had launched from. I found a little cove and went back in it and fished until dark. So I make my way down through the inlet and tie up at the dock and think, I thought this dock was turned the other way. So I get off the boat and only then realize that I'm at the wrong dam launch. I look around and there is no signs saying what launch I'm at, I'm now crapping my pants. Luckily there is another boat just coming in so I ask them how to get to Aitch boat launch. They don't have a clue. They tell me they've been lost for the last hour trying to find this one. They tell me it's James Creek launch but I can't remember where Aitch is from here and the moon hadn't cleared the mountain yet and it was pitch black.
    Anyhow, I ask them if they can give me a ride to the other launch after they get their boat out and they graciously agree. I offered to give the guy gas money but he wouldn't hear of it. Thank God there are some really decent people still out there. So, I finally drove back to the other launch and pulled my boat out.
    So I learned two important lessons. 1. Don't go out on a lake you haven't been on in fifteen years without a map, even if you're stupid enough to think you remember the lake. 2. Don't fish until dark without having a spotlight on the boat. :big_smile:

6. Skammer

Skammer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    #3 Get a GPS,it's the only sure way of finding your way back in the dark.

7. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    have caught a 22" this weekend, too I think that 6.5# for that size is a PIG of a fish. Good job. and GOOD job on the 9#er... Thats the size I'm waiting for a catfish big enough to solidly qualify for the catfish contest (7#+). Anyrate I'm entering your fish into that contest (just bragging rights only) as a point for the west. Some Rep to ya.

I can sympathize to how dark it can really get on a boat with no light. I entered my canoe this weekend with nothing brighter than a small flashlight. I didn't get lost, but I did almost tip it like 100 times:smile2::smile2:

I'm pondering a canoeing trip to the mighty alleghany reservoir (which is not Quite as large as raystown but is pretty big nonetheless and I'll try to keep your experiences in mind:smile2:

8. bass&cats

bass&cats New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    sounds like you had a good day, they do eat realy healthy down there.I would like to try aich dock they got one of them underwater citys about 50 ft deep. They have been biteing neer weavers falls pretty good lately too.

9. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Is there any flatheads in the juniata below Raystown or is there no flatties in the juniata?

10. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Randy, there are no flatheads in the Juniata. I've never even caught a channel cat from the dam down to the point. Plenty of bullheads though.

11. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    I'm gonna hit the lake after work today with a buddy of mine. Will be fishing the James Creek area. Hope to put some channel cat points on the board for PA.:cross:

12. bass&cats

bass&cats New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I went out to weavers falls today. caught a 30 inch channel cat down there right before dark, on a big live sunfish.

13. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Way to go Josh, I caught one 17" long and that was about it. Guess they didn't want chicken livers Friday night.:sad2:

14. bernardo

bernardo New Member Supporting Member

State:
    PA
    Are you still fishing Raystown for channel cats? I tried fishing at Weaver's Bridge (that's the one by Saxton not far off 913, right?) this morning with chicken liver and a couple of live gills I was able to catch. Unfortunately, those two blue-gills where the only bites I got.

I was fishing under and around the north end of the bridge. I didn't get there until it was nearly daylight, so maybe they had stopped biting by then.

15. M Pain

M Pain New Member

State:
    N. Central Pa
    Hows the bite going, Me and my son will be going there soon to try our luck on them fishes and could use an update.

16. bernardo

bernardo New Member Supporting Member

State:
    PA
    Haven't been back to the lake since my last post. Let us know what you catch, along with exact GPS coordinates of the location (just kidding!).:wink: Good luck - hopefully you'll do well!

17. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Duane if you could try to get shad or alewiefs they work AWESOME in that lake. That would be your best bet. Put a big circle in its back and throw it out live or cut them up. If you cant get them go to the 7 points gas station and get some 6-7 inch trout and use them on the bottom. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR RECEIPT!

18. M Pain

M Pain New Member

State:
    N. Central Pa
    We will be going on monday. :biggrin:

Can I use my own live gills and perch? :confused1:

Can you buy shad anywhere? :desire:
    Thanks

19. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Sure you can use your own live gills and perch as long as you legal caught them.

I dont think you can buy shad anywhere. You have to use a cast net in order to get them (you need a license for a cast net for the lake in order to use one)

Check out that gas station with the trout they sell nice trout to use for bait:pirate:

20. M Pain

M Pain New Member

State:
    N. Central Pa
    We put in at seven points and went down to the dam, we heard thats where the guides were catching some but we did not see any all day on the north end. We saw some big fish on top a few places with some jumpers we trolled mostly at 20' - 30' with Rapala magnums size 11 - 24, but did stop a few places to spot fish. When we got down to the dam we put in at 50' , 60', 75'. 90' with live perch on two and chicken livers on the other two and tried using 3/0 and 4/0 trebles on some with tc da 8/0 on some time. The first hits were on the chicken down 80', but could not hookem.
    :frown:

We then slowly moved to the south side of marker 1 and stoped and shortly after the rod with the 10" perch went screaming then one back rod ....... :bomb: yep you guised it it tangled not one but two other rods and went down to its tree house - The fight is on ( as rebel and randy says Ohhhhhhh Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaa) good thing the main rod had 50# line on, so we pulled then gave it some line to maybe get free, I checked the depth at 80' and the perch was at 60' after about 20 min i got the broom handle piece out and wrapped and pulled and repete till something gives :turtle:. :question:

:err: Finlay it did about 8" from the snap without the tasty little perch :at-wits-end: and one other rod had a small 1 1/2" dia piece of a branch on it and about 15 min later we were on tangled and all rods back in with only loosing one hook and about 20 yds of line OOOOhhhhhhhh Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaa we were ready :yin-yang: but we only had one more hit after that closer to seven points. We had fun and enjoyed the time there and hope to get back in Oct.

:biggrin: