Raystown Lake

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mike_4843, Mar 23, 2008.

1. mike_4843

mike_4843 Member

State:
    Shippensburg PA
    Has any buddy ever fished Raystown lake for catfich? If so is any good?

2. bass&cats

bass&cats New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I have heard there are big channels below the spillway. I never got to fish it for catfish though. First time I was up there was this winter, so I could only go walleye fishing there. It looks reely good. There are deep cliffs you can fish below the spillway and there is no current. Anyways I dont know how good it is for shure though. I was just told by my friend that his friend says he thinks theres big ones in it. It looks like it has good potential for holding big channel catfish there so im going to give it a try.

I have heard a good many stories of Raystown scoobadivers saying how they saw a bunch of catfish big enough to scare them out of the water. They scoobadive were the under water city is in the lake. I would realy like to finde out were that is at.

SO IF ANY ONE KNOWS WHERE THE UNDER WATER CITY IS AT RAYSTOWN LAKE, ID LOVE TO KNOW !

3. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    There are some nice channels in the lake. Below the spillway you're probably not gonna catch anything but bullheads. A friend of mine spends alot of time fishing for walleye there behind the hydroplant. He catches tons of them but most aren't legal size.:angry:

4. jab677

jab677 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    There are good numbers of channel cats in Raystown. The only bad part is that there are even more bullheads so at times it can be difficult to keep them off your line. I had the privilege of growing up 5 minutes from this lake and found the southern end of the lake and up into the Raystown Branch of the Juniata to be the best part of the lake for channel cats. Hope this helps.

Jeff

5. bass&cats

bass&cats New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I remember now that me and my one friend went up to raystown under the shy beaver bridge. It was at night time after we got done bass fishing. We didnt have any lights but we kept useing slip rigs instead of three ways so when we would get a bite half the time the catfish would run and get the wieght hung up in rocks. we caught a couple of small channel catfish. I dont know if there are any big ones in there though. Ill have to see if I can get some this season there.

6. mike_4843

mike_4843 Member

State:
    Shippensburg PA
    Thanks for the info. I live in shippensburg and im trying to find some good catfishing close by so if any one knows any let me know plz

7. jab677

jab677 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    If your in Shippensburg I would probably head to the Susquehanna for catfish before coming to Raystown. If you want to get into some big stripers though Raystown is the place to go. If you would like to go out with an awesome guide try Denny Clapper. (http://www.clappersguide.com/Default.htm) Denny knows the river and lake like the back of his hand as he grew up when the lake was being built. So he knows the surface of the lake as well as whats in the deepest (200ft) parts of the lake. If you decide on this tell him Jeff Brode sent you his way.

8. bass&cats

bass&cats New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Will catfish hang out at depths of 150 to 200 feet?

9. jab677

jab677 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I doubt it, I was just kind of commenting on the depth of the lake. I have heard of people trolling in deeper parts of the lake and catching channel's suspended at about 20ft.

10. mike_4843

mike_4843 Member

State:
    Shippensburg PA
    I went down to the Susquehanna river for catfish last year and I didnt even get a bite. I was fishing right where the warm water from the power plant flows back into the main branch and i had a problem with geting stuck on the bottom.

11. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    welcome to the BOC good to have you aboard

12. jab677

jab677 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I talked to a buddy from back home. He caught 2-23" channels and a smaller 19" channel out of raystown last friday. not sure what the water temp is but I am sure after this week the stripers will be running.