Raystown Lake

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by fishhard, Jul 22, 2009.

1. fishhard

fishhard New Member

State:
    pa
    hey guys im new to the board just wondering does anyone fish lake raystown for big cats they say there are monsters there

2. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I grew up in that area (Huntingdon County) and fished Raystown quite a bit. It really isn't known for its Catfish fishery but I'm sure they are there. I've had better luck targeting the Channels in the Juniata River...my largest to date was an 18 lb beast that took a soft-shelled crayfish.

Good luck if you decide to give it a try.

Oh, and welcome to the BOC!

3. Welcome buddy. Yah, stick to the rivers, better Flathead fishing in them.:wink:

4. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I agree with Northport :wink:

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Welcome to the BOC Ed!:0a25:.

6. Kat Head

Kat Head New Member

State:
    Erie, Pennsylvania
    Ed, I've never fished raystown. But I do fish alot of lakes and tributaries. I don't have a nearby river up here. A couple of things that might help ya, The best time is right after a rain, channels will pile up in the mouth of the feeder creeks. Or, if there are any mud banks along the shore garenteed they will becoming in shallow after a rain to pick up the critters washing in. Cut bait in the creek mouth and for some reason shrimp on mud banks is the best combination around here. Other than that stick to structure. Log piles, weed edges, and deep holes during the day. Shallows at night. You might even want to try some chum on a calm night. One lake we fish it works great. Another lake it seems to drive the fish away. Good luck, hope this helps.

7. fishhard

fishhard New Member

State:
    pa
    hey thanks guy fish it a couple times for cats with nothing.Fish it a million times for stripers though.........

8. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Ed, I haven't been on Raystown this year yet, but I've had luck on some nice channel cats right outside the James Creek launch. Right when you get to the no-wake buoys there is a little cove off to the right as your leaving the launch. Drop some chicken livers in there and you should get some action.