Raystown Lake channel catfish

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catman823, Apr 17, 2007.

1. catman823

catman823 New Member

State:
    pa
    Anyone on here fish Raystown for Channels? I used to clean up down around Aitch on them. Many of nights catching 5 to 12lb channels on Ultralights and 4# test. I haven't made it down that way in a while and was wondering if the fishing is still good in the area.

2. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

I never fished aitch for catfish. I've got nice channels on trout trolling in browns hollow. What did you catch the catfish on? how deep? :lol:

3. catman823

catman823 New Member

State:
    pa
    Mainly used Chicken Livers and night crawlers. fished on the bottom. anywhere from 3 to 15'. When I was younger we would fish from the grass point that was there, but then they built a big wooden peir. After the pier was built I started taking the boat out and just fishing out from the wooden pier.

4. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I live relatively close to Raystown Lake and always caught ALOT of perch and Walleye outta there! I caught a 8 pound bullhead once from there on good ol Chicken Livers though!
    how close to the lake are you? I live in Jersey Shore borough but it's really in Waterville Pa. I go up through English center and cedar run to get there. I'm going for Pike/Muskie/chain pickeral this year up there! Maybe I'll run into you and we can say Hi? LOL
    :tounge_out:

Crap, I was thinking ROSE VALLEY LAKE not Raystowne....Sorry bud. :(

5. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    I've never fished there, but it's on my list of places I'd like to fish.:wink:

6. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Chris welcome to the BOC:0a25: Friends of mine are big into bass fishing at Raystown and they complain about getting into a lot of channel cats south of the shy beaver boat launch area. What a thing to complain about:crazy:

7. catman823

catman823 New Member

State:
    pa
    Hey there tbartek,

I see you are in New Germany. I am not far from you. My wife has a business in Ebensburg.

8. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

If it was a 8 pound bullhead you should of sent it to pa fish commission.... thats a state record. the state record bullhead is 4 lb 4 0z...........http://www.fish.state.pa.us/strecord.htm

9. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Yea, I didn't want to say anything but an 8lb bullhead is about three times the size of any I have ever caught.:confused2:

10. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

im going down raystown tonight, ill be down there from today to sunday. When I run into moon eyes(aleifes) I going to catch them and save them for the night time. Ill be cutting them up and fishing them on the bottom for stripers and channels ill let you know how i make out. -Rebelman

11. catman823

catman823 New Member

State:
    pa
    Good luck on your trip. How big do the alewifes get?

12. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA

Not only that but if it was a brown or yellow bullhead, it could've been a world record. The world record for black bullheads is 8 lbs. something. You should keep up-to-date on the size of the record fish that you're fishing for, so that if you happen to catch a BIG one, you'll kno!!!

13. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

the largest alewife ive caught with the casting net was 6 inches.

Got back from raystown and we caught some nice bass, lake trout, catfish, and no stripers :crazy:. No luck with cut shad on the bottom, caught the channel on 3 inch shiner in browns hollow against the shoreline!?!:cool2: