Ray Roberts Shad

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by C2catfish, Oct 9, 2005.

1. C2catfish

C2catfish New Member

State:
    Hurst, Texas
    Went to Ray Bob to fish Saturday. My brother and I were unable to catch any shad. We located a few balls, but were unable to net them.

Didn't find any shad that were flippin' top water.

Rained most of the AM then cleared up to be a nice day.

Found that my steering fluid is leaking pretty good right at the steering wheel.

I was bummed that I didn't even get the bait tank cranked up. I'm thinking about trying Lake Lewisville now that it's cooler. Maybe it'll be too cold for all them crazy boaters.

C2

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hey C2, you ever tried punch bait ? We liked to net shad and used them only,but, now we have found a great bait and don't have to get wet catching it!

3. C2catfish

C2catfish New Member

State:
    Hurst, Texas
    T-Bone,

What I'm trying to do is gain enough knowledge and experience to go out on these lakes and catch lots of big fish on a regular basis. I know punch bait will allow me to catch a good mess of eatin' sized cats, but that's not exactly what I'm after for the most part.
    I went on a guided trip at Lake Fork where the guide only used shad he caught at LL that morning. We fished many spots that day, and when we finally got on a spot where there were lots of fish, let me tell you the bite was on like I've never seen. Big bass were being landed right and left for a good 45 minutes before they turned off a bit. We were specifically targeting big bass that day, but the technique is the same for cats. Find the fish, put on some fresh shad and hang on!
    We are just going through a part of the learning curve which involves finding and catching shad. Anyone who might provide some tips in this regard PLEASE DO!!! I have invested time and money installing a 50 gallon bait tank on my boat, and I'm itchin' to use it. There's nothin' like using fresh Shad, the smell, the action, the frenzy that develops is something that I want to experience again and again.
    I am taking your advise on the punch bait, and will keep it on my boat. I'm not so stubborn that I won't carry an alternate bait, and punch bait is pretty easy to keep as I understand.

Thanks for the reply,

C2

4. koondawg

koondawg New Member

State:
    texas
    I fish RR three or 5 times a week. I mostly fish for blue cats and crappie.
    I use shad, live and cut for blues. Fished stink bait today, caught, or should say kept 19. Forget the stink bait, go for the shad, try buck creek basin, I can always find bait either between the bridges or within 100ft of the bridges.
    find deep water throw cut and live lacrated them, use 5 ought hook, twenty lb big game.
    I fish out of a 18ft kenner center console, holler at me, I am there at daylight during the week and try to be back at the boat barn by noon.

5. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Koondog, Luke Clayton here. Sure good to see some Ray Roberts catfish updates here. That is one lake I've never written about in my newspaper columns. I've fished here very few times but know is a good catfish spot. My email is luke@lukeshotspots.com ... fire me an email, I'd like to learn more about catfishing up that way. I live about 60 miles se of the lake.