raw steak

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by head hunter, Nov 13, 2009.

1. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    anybody else ever use raw steak ( fresh ) for channels or blues,?? I've used it on and off though 20 years of fishing and it's never failed as a back up bait . I use the trimmed off fat with a little meat , stays on the hook good to.

2. Does it work almost as good as chicken lever hoss? I never used steak?:confused2: Ya got the wheels in my head turning now.... :smile2::smile2: Now I gotta try it!:smile2:

3. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    had'em hit that before fresh cut shad,,,sometimes !!

4. Yup, ya got me real curious now. Hmmm....:confused2:

5. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Me too John. :big_smile:

Ray

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sorry, Bud but I got much better ideas on what to do with 7.99/lb steak:wink:

7. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i beleive you guys are confused, so im gonna reveal my secret!

what you want to do is, slice the steak in chunks, be sure to trim all the fat from around it, and set it off to the side, now take either some shad or skip jack and cut in small strips, now once that is done, you take the small strips of shad and put that on a 8 OT gami hook, now your ready for the steak, place the steak in a hot pan and sear on both sides, locking the blood in so it will retain a scent trail! now remove the steak from the pan and put in a seperate container, now grab your rod with the shad strips and 8ot gami hook on it and sling it out in the river or lake, and then grab the A-1 and add a generous amout to the steak, now just sit back and wait on your monster cat while you chow down on the steak! remember tho, this leaves an enormous scent trail so beware of your hungry fellow anglers! now thats how you use steak when catfishing!:confused2::big_smile:

8. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I once used steak for catfishing as a joke with a few guys . We were fishing with sonnies dip bait all of us sitting next to each other on the bank and fishing pretty much the same area . I was catching fish left and right , others catching nothing and cussing me up and down . I let them throw where I was at and they caught nothing . I fished ther spot and caught fish . We even traded poles and such . Finally I said you know there is half a steak the wife did not eat from last night at the pub . I bet I can catch fish with it . So I went to the car and cut strips from it and baited up . Sure as heck I still caught fish and they was still cussing ...lol

9. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Bout as bad as usen a $20 salmon side for blue cutbait lol

10. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    going fishing in the morning ,,,and having STEAK and eggs for breakfast ,,you up for it?? lol

11. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I really think this will work. I bought a pack of stew meat chunks last night to use for bait. Only cost me $3.66 at the commissary. Not bad, im gonna try it out at the local lake friday first then use the rest at the James Saturday. Hopefully I'll have a nice report to make

12. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Tried it for a couple hours at the Lake, caught 12 nice Bullheads between 1-2LBs, Got consistent bites the whole 3 hours I fished, hardly ever went 10 minutes without a bite, it was the only bait I got bites on minus a 10.5LB Blue on a Shad head. Will definetly use the Meat at the James tomorrow

13. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Good luck at the James tomorrow there Ramon and thank you for the report.

Ray

14. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Raw steak didnt work for me at the river :sad2: they only seemed to want cut shad and cut bluegill. will try it again though one day

15. festus

festus New Member

Which cut of steak have yall had best luck with? I don't think the catfish should be too choosy, I like all of it, fillet mignon, ribeye, T-bone, New York Strip, and even the lowly chuck eyes and cube steaks.

Does any particular variety stay on the hook better?

16. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use the scraps from raw deer meat. But I soak it in shadfirst.

Get you some mason jars. Place some chucks of scrap meat in the jar and then throw some left over shad and alittle water in there and then put the cap on it and let it sit in the sun for 2 days. Then put in your fridge if the ol lady will let ya and let it sit in there for a long time. The shad will turn to liquid and soak in the meat and it will work well for bait. Havent done it this year, but will make some with the next deer I take. Good luck

17. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    try soaking the steak in wd 40 that might work:smile2: