Raw oysters=food poisoning/bacteria infection

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by psychomekanik, Apr 28, 2007.

1. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I wanted to pass on some important info. i discovered the hard way. i knew eating raw oysters can be dangerous. but, i had a crash course in pathogens thursday night, and friday. i went to hooters while i was in training in chicago. i ate 6 raw oysters, and some of thier hot wings. i've always loved eating oysters. i had heartburn earlier, so after i got back to my hotel room. i took some antacids. BIG MISTAKE!! oysters can carry a bacteria that is normally killed by stomach acid. but in the presence of antacids, can be fatal. it allows the bacteria to pass through your system and infect you. i felt fine till i took the antacid, then a short time later i was doubled over in stomach cramps, serious blood pressure drops, profuse sweating, and violent diahrea. i seriously thought i was going to dye. there's more contributing factors. read the link below. i've had gastro-intestinal problems, stomach problems, etc, etc..i was gonna tough it out, thinking it was just like any other stomach flu, or sickness. my g/f looked it up on the internet and called me back telling me i needed to get to a hospital right away. i had almost every one of the symptoms that could be associated with the infection. i went to the emergency room there. and got treated for the bacteria. if left untreated this infection can kill a person in as little as 2 days! i have never been so sick in my life. i'm not ashamed to tell you every time i fell asleep i woke up soiled! i took 4 showers that night. i was so dehydrated i could barely walk into the hospital. so those of you that eat oysters, or any raw shellfish. read up on it.. and know the risks, and contributing factors to infection. (like the antacids). i was so afraid to call my sister, and tell her i was in the hospital yesterday. our younger sister died a year ago today. she would have had a nervous breakdown.. so now i'm back at home, and i feel like my stomach was wrung out like a wet dishrag. BUT,, I'm still going fishing today!!! :big_smile:

http://issc.org/EDU/pamplets/RISK_EATING_RAW_OYSTERS_CLAMS.html

2. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I love oysters myself. Thanks for the info.

3. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Mark,

Thanks for the warning! Very glad to hear that you're okay... fishin is great for recuperation :lol:

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Glad you are OK. I love raw oysters. With a raw oyster you can usually smell a bad one as in one that hasnt been cared for properly.
    We get bushel bags of them once inawhile and go to town with oysters , saltines, and hot sauce.
    The only time I've ever been sick from an oyster was a fried oyster. I thought I was going to die too until it came up , then I was ready to go eat some more. But thats why I myself trust raw over fried. With batter and frying you'll miss that hint of an off smell and even one that doesnt taste exactly right.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for the info! I've never tried them raw but I plan to one day.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the heads up on that ,I love raw oysters doused with lousiana hot sauce washed down with a cold brew.

7. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Lost a good friend years ago probably from eating raw oysters. Hepatitus was the problem and he had been on vacation and eaten raw osters at several different places. The Doctors could not be certain but the Oysters were their best guess. I like them but don't eat them any more.

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thank you very much for the warning,but personally,Oysters are a food I just can't eat. I just don't care for them I have to my knowledge never tried clams except in Clam Chowder and I can eat it but it's not what I'd call a favorite food! But thanks for caring enough to post the warning!:big_smile:

9. troyedm

troyedm New Member

State:
    edmond oklahoma
    my friends wife ended up in the hospital after eating raw oysters at hooters. wonder if it is where they are buying them from?

10. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Thanks for the info.

11. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks for the heads up, my wife and i love raw oysters. I always smell them before eating and have never had a problem

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    As many folks on the the BOC apparently like raw oysters, dang if we dont need to get together with a few sacks and shuck a few.:big_smile:

13. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    a lot of people are mentioning the smell of the oysters. the one's i ate tasted really fresh. it's not being spoiled that makes them toxic. most of them carry the bacteria. it just takes the right conditions for it to affect you. what got me was the fact that i ate antacids after and allowed the bacteria to attack. so those to choose to eat them just take a few precautions. dont eat them when you're sick, if you have active stomach problems like ulcers, if you have any kind of infection, weak immune system, etc, etc...they also say the bacteria is more prevelant in warmer months. moreso in the summer. and that does sound like a good idea mark. i'm not afraid of them. i'd shuck a few at one of the gatherings with ya'..

14. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Vibrio vulnificus does NOT change the appearance, taste, or odor of oysters or clams.

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I love cooked oysters but I don't eat any kind of meat raw. :crazy:

16. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Your pretty lucky! if i'd of eaten that I would have dropped dead before I would have even made it home! I'm deathly allergic to shellfish!

17. bwillaub

bwillaub New Member

State:
    missouri
    I love raw oysters. Have since I was a kid growing up in Alabama. I will eat them every chance I get. I do smell them before I add salt or Tabasco to them tho. I have never gotten sick from eating them. Just take some care.