Raw Hands!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KansasKatter, Aug 17, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    After catching nice stringers of flatheads two of the last three nights, my hands are a wreck! Lipping this guys, and digging the hooks out of their mouths, some pretty deep, has torn all the hide off my hands and knuckles.

You know that pain? When just the top layer of skin is gone, just kind of "waters" all the time, and then crusts over?

Is there anything you can do for this to make it heal faster? And if anyone says "wear gloves" you may get a fat lip! :lol:

Just kidding, my hands hurt so bad right now, I couldn't break a water balloon!:angry:

2. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    CORNHUSKERS LOTION has always worked for me really well.

3. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    This isn't any fun but it works. Get yourself some thin rubber/latex gloves (like surgical gloves) which are nice to have around when cleaning fish as the smell doesn't get on your hands, but that's another post. Get the kind that don't have the powder on the inside and I get a larger than what I need so they slip on easily. Get Neosporin cream at your local drug store. Rub it onto and into your raw knuckles so every thing is covered, put the gloves on and go to bed. Take the Neosporin to work and put it on lightly when you can and repeat if needed. Don't wear the gloves at work unless you enjoy Michael Jackson jokes. It works quick and for the little "discomfort" of the gloves at night it is well worth it. That's what works for me.

4. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Great post.... Gonna have to try this one.... Reps to ya brother....

5. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    The Neosporin works great and it works on chapped hands as well as the CornHuskers lotion, I've used both but never tried the glove thing. I'll have to try that next time, a really good tip.

6. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    Beeheck, That is good advice!!

What I do is pour hyro-proxide(sp) let it bubble up good. Do that 2 or 3 times a day then put Neosporin or Triple Antibio crem on.

7. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Yea and it feels good to have them Flatties roughen up the hands a bit!!

I can't wait till I can get mine tore up again too.

:still_dreaming:

8. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Im REAL familiar with that feeling..Goes with the territory brother

9. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    the best thing you can do is go fishing and catch some more after a while your hand will turn in to a rawhide nothing will penatrate them if that dont work catch another kitty and rub your hand on it belly :big_smile:

10. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    If you can get hold of some Watkins Grease, then your problem is solved. I'm not sure what makes it so good, but I've found it to be better than the Neosporin for chapped and cracked hands.

We've had the same Watkins Grease tin in the house for about twenty years, and I've found nothing that beats it for chapped skin.

11. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i cant use neosporen that stuff make a cut or something hurt 5 times worse than it did. epson salt and peroxide mixed with hot water helps, never had a flattie to tear my hands up but a blue will try to take your fingers off.

12. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Yeah, those blues are the worst. This is not really from what the flatties did, but from reaching into their mouth to pick them up, and diggin out hooks that were a little to deep.

13. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    just trade spots with me fore a couple weeks
    ill actualy get on some fish and you can sit and wonder where the fish are :)

14. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    i know wat u mean got that feeling right now idk i just let it heal but its part of fishing for flatheads

15. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    My hands have been torn up for years off striper fishing, but with the job I have now its a pain. Ive gone to using boga's quite a bit for cats and stripes

16. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    take a close look at my avatar....this little girly glove kept this fiesty 12 lber in check. I don't know about the rest of you guys but I feel like more of a man wearing a glove for a few minutes to handle a couple of lively fish than I do if I were to rub ointments and creams all over myself before going to bed. Im not saying wear gloves but to answer your question on "how to heal faster" the only advice I have is...to not put yourself in a situation in were you are going to require healing afterwords. If that is not posibble just let your hands scar up and years from now you can tell your grandkids fish stories about it.. I just wish I had your problem right now. good luck

17. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah - I always put a glove (or for a big fish - 2 gloves) to land blues and flatheads, but then the gloves come off. I still get scraped up pretty good sometimes while digging a hook out or even while releasing a fish.

18. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    Us noodlers just call that battle scars but from experince highly clorinated water like in swimming pools will dry up your wounds about as fast as anything