Rattling horns

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by misterwhisker, Aug 19, 2009.

what type of horns do you use

1. real horns (sheds)

2. synthetic horns

3. rattling bag

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Just curious as to how many of you rattle and what with synthetic horns, real horns (sheds) or rattling bag

2. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    real horns for me. Nothing else sounds like the real things to me. Good luck

3. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I have only used real antlers but have had very limited success.I believe it depends on your buck/doe ratio on how well it works.I have only lured in small basket racks using it where I hunt so most time I don't bother.Would like to hear other results from members and why they think it did or didn't help.

4. MikeV

MikeV New Member

State:
    pennslvania
    Sheds, if i'm in a tree i tie them to a rope and keep them on the ground, so i can russel leaves ,hit the ground and whack trees in stuff. I'v never seen a buck fighting in a tree. Just a little tip for everyone

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    It works both ways here in the mountains since it's so steep around here. I still do most of my rattling on the ground, but I've had some nice bucks run right under the tree I was rattling from, too.

6. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have used real horns and a rattle bag and as others said buck /doe ratio has some bearing on how well it works in my opinion . Also I read an article in Sports Afield that gave some in sight on some of the things we think about deer . 1 was deer don't hear an acorn drop a 100yds. away certain sounds they detect better than others and it went on to say that most hunters don't rattle loud enough and sound doesn't carry in the woods as far as we think it does .

7. MikeV

MikeV New Member

State:
    pennslvania
    Absolutely, i should be more specific in my posts, i know. I don't do it all the time, just on ridges or if i'm realy up there. I think it sounds way more real down there,you don't have as much control, no unintentional repitition,sounds natural. The best past is you don't havta carry um up wit cha

8. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    I have never used real horn before but i got me some now from an 8 pointer i found on the side of the road last year.use the bag and synthetic.called in a buck last season with the bag,never got a clear shot on the buck though.it was probibly a 2 1/2-3 year old buck mid 140's prolly.

9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia

I've had that problem several times, especially when rattling during bow season. Two of the biggest bucks I have ever seen in the wild came running right to me, within 10 yards, and I couldn't move to get a shot off. I think it is easier with two or more people. I like to have a shooter down wind and to the side and then I got up a little higher and start rattling.
    Last year I tried rattling from my new ground blind, set up at the edge of a planted pine thicket, overlooking and open hay field where they tend to cross. I was figuring that the deer would come to the edge of the field, not want to cross, and circle around the top where I had a 100 yard shot. Instead a big 9 pointer came charging in from behind me and stopped literally 2 feet from me. I had my back in the corner of the blind and he stopped right outside the screened window I was leaning against. We stared at each other for a few seconds before he took off back into the pines. Right at dusk I looked out the front window and he was standing 15 feet in front of me, at the edge of the field. He wasn't so lucky that time!!

10. WhoJosh

WhoJosh New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    I use a rattling bag. Still need a little work on using it :smile2:. I just figured I'd buy one because I haven't found any sheds or killed any bucks, or any deer at all :sad2:. My bro's got some antlers from an 8 point that he uses for rattling. He hasn't had a chance to use the yet, but they do sound better than my bag.

11. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I can't find anything to reproduce the real sound of rattling horns than the real thing. Synthetic ones are close, but they are too high pitched. The small rattling bags are far from the real sound of rattling antlers, but I do have to say that the "heavy horns" rattling bags are a lot closer to the real sound. I still stick to the real thing because then I know I'm making the real sound.

12. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Ive used synthetics, bags and the little gizmo's knight and hale etc made where you turn knobs and wheels etc. Ive always had better luck with sheds or cutoff's. I have 3 sets of real one's right now I use. Some of my most exciting hunts have came during the rut while calling and rattling. One set of synthetics I have is green and about 20 years old. Buddy was rattling them in early January 4 years ago and rattled so hard he busted a chunk off. Got disgusted and hung them in the tree, turned around and bout fell over as a big one was standing 15 yards away, he grabbed his bow and shot. It turned out to be a one horned monster. The one antler scores 93 B & C. If you try long enough it will work for you. If your doe hunting I'd call only, does get skittish around rattling after they've been chased for a few weeks by love struck bucks. Early in the season they'll keep on feeding but from 3rd week of October around here and on they'll fall over each other to get away. On my all day hunts I'll rattle thru the noon hour etc for something to do and every now and then it pays off. Its a great time consumer for younger or beginning hunters. Gives them something to do.

13. jctiger

jctiger New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Missouri
    I Think I scare Deer off more than anything when Rattling,lol:smile2:

14. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use the synthetics. One trick I do is sand the heck out of them. This takes away that plastic sound and shine.

15. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    this last year I used synthetic horns and they give off pretty realistic sounds compared to my real ones. I don't like the rattle bags at all.

16. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    I think I gave away all my rattle bags and gizmo's. You will scare deer rattling, thats a given, later on in the rut after the youngsters have been whipped/beaten up a time or two they will haul tail when you rattle. I believe its a trade off, theres deer that spook and then theres one's that come thru you wouldnt have seen otherwise. Incidentaly, you wont always rattle in the woods biggest buck, sometimes its the most aggressive. We had a broken horned 7 pt few years ago that came in almost every time we rattled. He was passed up all season, if his rack had been full he may have went 120. I learned quite a bit from him, you cant rattle too loud after November 1st, always have your weapon ready after you hang the antlers and lovestruck bucks can be dumb, dumb, dumb! Buddy was hanging my tree lounge and banged it around, got up about 8 feet looked over and there was stumpy. Heres a combo I like to use during the rut, I use a Quaker boy pipe(30sec-1min), then I go to a doe bleat(30sec), few grunts(not low breeding grunts early in the season) then I rattle for about a minute, low and slow at first, then after about 20-30 sec really bang'em. Covers all the bases. We've had fawns, does, yearling bucks and whoppers come into this setup.

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I don't think the type of antler has as much to do with it as the type of herd you have.
    If the herd is way out of wack in the doe to buck ratio, a buck don't need to run to a rattle. He has 15 or 20 doe coralled up already.

It's about like baiting around here. The deer have plenty of food. When you start putting the food in their living room all you are doing is cutting down the distance he travels in a 24 hour period thus cutting down the chances of you bagging him. Essentially driving him to toal nocturnalness.

Akin to your wife feeding you in bed. You only need to travel to the bathroom.

I always had more success with sound planning in treestand placement and letting things unfold naturally. But I've never hunted a well ratioed herd either.

18. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have been rattling for years and I use real antlers. The best success I have had has been to rattle in areas that I have seen bachelor groups of bucks running together in the late summer. If you are fortunate enough to be hunting in an area with 5 or 6 nice bucks.....you will have a great time hunting. If you hunt an area with low buck numbers.....leave the rattling horns at home. JMO:wink:

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Last time I saw anything on it Our buck per square mile in this county was a tad less then one.
    That is an average not hard law.

See 5 bachelor bucks at one time? You kidding?
    More apt to see 30 doe at one time in the backyard and catch a glimpse of a mature buck stalking them through the treeline. That is NO KIDDING.

20. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I hear ya....its been a many a year since I saw 5 or 6 bucks running together. Most of the time nowadays....I'm lucky to see 1 mature buck during the whole season. I do see lots of 1 1/2 year olds though. I just wish others would let them walk and live to reach trophy status.

I mainly hunt for meat and usually tag a couple does each year. Then I'm back to fishing.:wink: