Rattle Shad for channel catfish !?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by kyron4, May 12, 2007.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Been White bass fishing in the river and have already caught 4 channel cats (12", 15", 20", and 23") all on a 2" black back/chrome Rattle Shad (aka. Rattle-Trap), all in 3' or less of water, all males. Are the getting nests ready in the shallows. So much for the "feed by smell " theory. Just thought I'd share, thouht it to be a bit odd. :roll_eyes:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mike I can believe that. Channel cats like action baits, just like bass. Those were some nice size channels you caught. Thanks for sharing.:big_smile:

3. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    Last summer, I caught a number of channel catfish on crankbaits I was trolling for crappie. On some days, I caught more channels than crappie.

4. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Last summer, i caught numerous channel cats while fishing for smallmouth bass. I was fishing in a decent sized tributary of the susquehanna river, using in-line spinners. The biggest one that i caught on a spinner was 28 inches long.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    That is very nice, sound like u was bass fishing.

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Flathead bite like that when they're on thier beds. they're biting out of terittorial aggression. the flathead like rap shad rattle baits. especially the crawdad type..

7. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yep, we catch them while trolling Rattletraps for Wallye, all the time.

8. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Its funny you mention this. I caught my biggest channel on a rattle trap a few years ago. Man I thought I had a monster bass.

9. dchi2003

dchi2003 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    I bought a rattle trap years ago and so far the only thing that I have caught on it was a 3lb channel.

10. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    That is so much fun when you can catch them on artificials. Good job

11. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    one trip for whitebass, i caught 4 on a spoon. me and my dad occasionally catch them on spinners as well. seems like they like the flash.

12. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Know of a guide that caught a huge flat head while fishing for crappie. Want to say it was 65 lbs. Imagine landing a monster like that on light tackle. I've seen pics of the fish.

13. fscii

fscii New Member

State:
    MD
    The only lure I've ever caught channels on was a big spoon. I was fishing for trout and trying to get a big one. Soon as the spoon hit the water in a hole I got slammed - thought i had a serious trout. About a 3-4lb channel. I said ok I've seen dumb luck happen. Whatever. I let it go. Next cast or one after, to the same spot, another channel about the same size on the same lure. No idea if it was the same fish or not.

It was only afterwards that I heard of people catching them on minnow plugs and spinnerbaits thrown around schools of herring after bass.

14. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    when the shad die off in the Fall cats will follow the schools of baitfish to pick up an easy meal. Same could be said about cats following baitfish that are being preyed on by agressive feeding fish...Looking for a stunned or dying baitfish they may hit a lure. With that said, I did catch a nice channel once trolling a Rapala for Stripers...he had to chase that one down!

15. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    a cat will kill anything near its nest. i have caught male channels off of nests that had sunken in bellies, obviously hadn't eaten in a while. i always wondered if they actually eat what comes near the nest, or just maim or kill it.

16. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Catfish especially blues like to stay below actively feeding whites, stripers or hybrids depending on what the lake have to pick up some of those shad those fish hit that fall through the school.

17. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    ive never caught a channel cat on a rattle trap, but i have caught a blue cat on a curly tail jig fishing for crappie