Rattle Bags

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Believer, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Do any of you guys use them?
    I bought one and have used it some. Don't know if it's doing any good or if i'm even doing it right, but i'm trying. :roll_eyes:

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    There in lies the rub, no pun intended, I wasn't kidding about my post in the fawn in distress thread. I do use it to locate hunters not supposed to be on the property I'm hunting. If it doesn't sound real it just hampers you. Good post. Hope you get someone who knows what he's doing to coach ya.
    :roll_eyes:

3. ripleyhunter

ripleyhunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    The bags work great. Easy to carry too. The thing is don't use them to early. Early season bucks may do some sparring but nothing to heavey. So there's no sense in using it at that time. I always wait for the rut. Then I use the bag. But beware. If you rattle to much or to heavey and there is not a lot of bucks where your at you'll scare off the only shooter you have. It's just like grunting, if you keep using a real deep grunt and there's only little bucks around they;ll leave because they don't want there butt kicked. Also try to find a video on how to rattle. There's way to many tricks to list them all here. Good luck!

4. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    where i live walmart has them.... thier wooden sticks

5. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    I use them allot. It takes a few times of using them to get it right. I mainly use them during the rut. If I know there are good bucks in the area I will use them in conjuntion with a grunt call. Try not to rattle to much or you will scare off the shooters. You must develop a rattle and fighting grunt series that will entice the big boys in. The only draw back to this process is the fact that there may be other hunters in the area and they will respond to your grunts with grunts of their own. I have had this happen before and we called back and forth to each other for an hour until I realized what was happening. I am sure the deer was as confused as we were.

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I tried the bag yesterday with no luck. I usually use real antlers. Like the guys said, there is a short window for them. The rest of the time it will only scare the deer and give your position away. If there are no mature bucks in your area it won't work. When it does work, be ready! They will come in fast and be looking for a fight. I blew it a couple years ago on one of the biggest bucks I've ever seen. As soon as I got done rattling, a big Red Tail Hawk landed in the tree in front of me. Instead of grabbing my bow I was watching the hawk when a huge buck came charging in 10-15 yards behind me staring right in my direction. I couldn't move or get to my bow. As fast as he came in, he was gone! He would have scored in the 170's easy.

7. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    My cousin and I rattled one in this morning. We were about 70 yards apart. I was in a stand and he was in a ground blind. The wind was out of the south and I was looking to the north when he came running in.
    He was heading right for my cousin, but stopped about 30-40 yards away when he saw the blind. He wasn't playing that game and turned and walked broadside to me at about 15 yards. I double lunged him and stuck the arrow in the ground behind him! :big_smile:
    All day long i've been catching crap about how my cousin let him walk instead of taking the long shot! :tounge_out:

8. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    I just called in this bad boy saturday morning on opening rifle day. ill post another thread with the details.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]