Rathbun Lake

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by DAREWOOD11, Apr 24, 2007.

1. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    IS ANYBODY FIRMAILIAR WITH RATHBUN LAKE OR ANY OTHER LAKES IN SOUTHERN IOWA>

2. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Vaguely familiar. We took a weekend trip down there with 6 of us family members and two boats. Blew the engine on one boat and tore the lower unit out of the other. Both boats were less then 6 months old. Bad memories for me of Rathbun.

We did, however, catch some channels above a bridge at the upper end. Other members will know what to call that bridge. I was just learning how to drift then. I'd like to make another trip down there now that I know more about drifting and try again. I'll make sure the insurance policy is paid up on my boat. At any rate, I ran into an "old-timer" down there who gave us some tips on fishing (he was a drifter too). He claims that Rathbun is a good catfish lake as he had fished it for years. I tried to get him to come out fishing with me. He wasn't in the best of health but you could see his eyes light up and he got all fidgety. He was really tempted to go and I wish he had. Anyway, my other memories of Rathbun include its being the roughest darn lake I've ever been on. In addition, there are lots, and I mean lots, of huge cabin cruisers that make huge rolling wakes. With the lake being rough anyway, you add buttloads of big boats churning it up and you're in for a rough ride.

Beyond that, I know there's fish there so get out there and give it a try.

3. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Oh yeah, it can be rough without a doubt. I was just there last Saturday. Got "plenty" of sun and wind. (Peeled nicely) . The fishing can be quite rewarding. Ease on down and check it out. Getcha a lake map and talk to the fellow that runs the bait shop right before you get to the boat ramp near Honey Creek. Not to mention, the Iowa DNR posts a weekly fishing report you can have sent to your email that gives some good info on several lakes statewide. Hope this will help.

4. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    WHERE WERE YOU FISHING ON RATHBUN? IVE BEEN FISHING IT A LOT AND I MOSTLY FISH AROUND BRIDGEVIEW AND SOUTHFORK AND BACK BY THE RIVER CHANNEL IN THE SHALLOWS WITH THE OLD TREES...

5. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We were drifting rock humps/structure in the main lake last time & working the dam. I have to think the areas where you have been fishing would be as productive as any right now.

6. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I fished there for about 15 years until I moved to Illinois in 2006, the spillway is great for flatheads, walleye, and some crappie. Island view area, bridgeview, and around the marina are all good for channel cats. We used, worms, bluegills, and minnows. And watch them stumps they will leave you stranded faster than anything.

7. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    ARE YOU TALKIN ABOUT CATCHING FLATHEADS BELOW THE DAM? I HAVE CAUGHT ABOUT A DOZEN FLATHEADS OUT OF RATHBUN IN THE PAST TEN YEARS PROLY THAT I HAVE FISHED THERE BUT NONE WEIGHED OVER 2 POUNDS...I NEVER TRIED BELOW THE DAM FOR FLATHEADS THOUGH. WEVE BEEN DOIN PRETTY GOOD SO FAR I GUESS CAUGHT ATLEAST A FEW EVERYTIME AND CAUGHT 10 IN OUR BEST NIGHT BUT MOST RITE AROUND 2 POUNDS SO FAR. I KNOW THERES BIGGER ONES IN THERE. JUST A MATTER OF TIME. WERE THE ROCKS ABOVE THE DAM VERY PRODUCTIVE FOR FLATS OR CHANNELS?

8. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yes the rocks above the dam can be very productive for channels I have caught plenty in the 4 and 5 lb range. With an occasional 10+. But for the big flats you need to be in the spillway. Go to the wall on the north side and throw out just past the edge of the wall. I watched my step dad pull in a 40lb flathead from there. But the last couple years has been really slow because the mess with the lake level.