Rate Your 2009 Fishing Season

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by festus, Jan 1, 2010.

How Do You Rate the 2009 Fishing Season

1. Excellent

2. Very Good

3. Good

4. Fair

5. Poor

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. festus

festus New Member

I'd have to give myself a "Good" simply because I was pretty satisfied considering the factors working against me. What I mean by that, my two favorite winter fishing holes (Kingston and Bull Run Steam Plants) are no longer generating. I didn't catch any monster catfish this year, got a blue at Bull Run while fishing for stripers that was around 14 lbs. I didn't intentionally start fishing for catfish until September, got several from 1 lb. to about 7 pound using bluegill fillets. Also got one I didn't weigh that was 27" long that I released on a live crawdad.

Most of my fishing was in the spring, caught probably 1000 yellow bass. Got quite a few crappie, but I could never get over 9 keepers in one day (bank fishing only). Also got a few sauger and yellow perch. Hooked and lost a muskie that was at about 40" - 42" long when the hook came free. Got a 5 lb + largemouth out of a pond on a gob of nightcrawlers. Was catching bluegill and hybrid sunfish up to 10" - 11" long at least 50 a day out of a pond. I also had probably a state record river carpsucker when I found out there are no entrys yet in the state. I also lost probably my PB smallmouth bass that had to be at least 5 lbs while crappie fishing, it jumped 3' out of the water and threw an Aberdeen hook and tuffie minnow right back at me.

And I only sat foot in a boat once this year, white bass fishing on Watts Bar in 45' of water straight down with lanterns. One of the few times I got skunked. So did the other two fellows, and it was one of them's only fishing of the year. :roll_eyes:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  2. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    i also voted good. caught alot of fish but no really big monsters.

3. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    i voted excellent, caught some good fish and spent about 5-6 days a week fishin while i was home, cant get better than that

4. bullcat

bullcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    Got to give it a very good ,but always room for improvement ! Caught alot of fish ,won or placed in the money in most of our tourneys,won 1st in points in our club for the year ,caught big flathead and big channel for the year in our club also! Choked at Madison Classic an choked at Rising Sun .Like I said always room for improvement!

5. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I gave it a "fair" cause I didn't get out as much as I wanted, but a bad day fishing beats a good day at work every time out:smile2::smile2::smile2: Stay safe and aspire to inspire!!!:wink:

6. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    i gave it a very good because i managed to break my pb twice this year first with a 30 pounder and then with a 53 pounder. i only got skunked twice the entire year so that is fair enough to me. the only reason i didnt give it an excellent is because of all the motor trouble i had out of my boat that made a few trips kinda aggravatin. over all i say it was a great year of catfishing for me. now bass fishin is a different story. i caught three all year. so i have gave up bass fishin

7. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I had a good year , work kept getting in the way.Got to go about 30 times in all.No monsters but caught a few fish , had fun getting away for a while so yeah it was good.:wink:

8. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    this was my first year fishing in tournaments...had alot of fun but wish we could have caught some bigger fish....maybe this year:wink:...look out hilljacks...lol

9. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    I voted very good, even though I didn't get to fish alot the first half of the year. But no more than I get to fish I caught several fish over 25, I have improved in alot of areas and learned some new methods of fishing.:roll_eyes: Even when we go and get skunked, if we come back safe and had fun with some friends it was a good trip,:tounge_out: catching fish is an extra.:006::0a22:

10. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I voted excellent. I got to go 110 times in 2009. We boated over 60 fish from 30 to 60 pounds and countless numbers of fish from 2 to 30 pounds. My 11 year old son got the Lake Tawakoni youth record which was 40 pounds on January 19th, lost it 2 weeks later to a 57 and some change pounder. He has been within 3 pounds of it a few times but he has broken his PB several times which is now 55 pounds. Our #1 goal for this year is for him to get a 58 at least and get "his" youth lake record back LOL. If November and December are any indication, the winter of 2010 should be remarkable.

11. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    I had a very good year not because I caught the big ones but because of a man that I went with.I am 75 yrs old and this was the best year because of him.He has a nice boat and all the bells and whistles.We caught some good one but not the monsters like most have caught.He has caught some that was in the 30# range.My largest one was about 17#s
    He has caught some 60-70 lbers at wilson lake but I haven't caught that big one yet

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  12. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Good but not as good as the couple of years past. The flooding and fluctuating water levels in 2009 made for some difficult fishing but I still did pretty good.

13. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    awsome yr caught sum monsters and made a bunch of new friends i can say ive been blessed:cool2:

14. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I didn't catch as many fish as 2008 when the water was high and the fish stayed close to shore longer, but I caught quite a few channel catfish with jointed Rapalas from shore, caught a zillion bass with dropshot rubber worms, got three weeks extra fishing time because it was slow at work, and got to go catfishing with my dad at night for the first time in maybe four years. I went fishing with a few local people that I met on another fishing website, and got to see my dad catch a sucker using a planer board wearing waders in the river with a rod that I built myself. I brushed out a path down to the river and my grandma actually went down to the river for the first time ever and hung out with us fishing. I caught some fish with my own hand poured worms. I found over one hundred free bobbers on the shoreline while walking home from work. I caught my first white bass from shore. I actually caught a fish with dipbait....a bullhead.....I didn't catch any stinking turtles. I caught my first northern pike with a rubber worm.....thought it was a state record bass until it came up. I had three fishing reels wrecked while fish were on. I broke two rods while fishing. I had a drunk girl try to buy my Brotherhood of Catfishermen hat. She thought it was a Brotherhood of Christians hat. I went fishing with my parents in the boat and caught a channel catfish while jigging for walleye, the first time that happened.

15. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Lots of good stories ! I voted very good ..Caught several eater blues and channels . Took wife/and 3 kids out jugging once ...Jugged by myself 3 times .I only caught about a dozen jugging (my home spot ain't so great ) on the ky river . Got a pb blue at about 25 lb. from the cumberland river . (My home away from home ) !Where I was also able to bash the asian carp as they jumped in the boat !:big_smile: My boat has been pushed by the trolling motor for 2 years now so that limits what water I can cover and use it here on the ky river . 1 flathead in WV yeah ....pretty sad huh ! I have shared fish with others that could use it and still have a bag of cats 1 sauger and 2 white bass left . My oldest son caught his first trout on his own . And I caught my limit 3 times . I will cut the story off but my daughter kept us in bluegills !:wink:

16. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Overall , I'd say 2009 was excellent. In numbers and size of fish caught. Beginning with the first blue I've ever caught in my favorite bank spot , up to what seems to be a new minimum of 8 pounds following the uptick in usage of shad. I will admit I caught my previous PB at 2:30 A.M. EST on livers , but the livers produce more dinks and undesirables than shad. Also '09 saw my first trip ever on a boat - not that rubber death trap I piddled around MIL in '08. Thanks to Mac , I caught the heaviest stringer of fish I've ever caught!! Then , coupled with exploration of new spots , I landed a new PB with a rod I'd been trying to break in for nearly a year!! At this point , the only way I can go is UP!!

17. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    2009 was a fairly bad season for me. A couple 5 #ers the entire summer. Im hoping for a good 30+ lber this summer. Hopefully with the new boat we got i'll be able to eventually.

18. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Where were you fishing to get so many yellows? I need to try that area out.

19. festus

festus New Member

AJ, I caught most of them at Melton Hill Dam on the lock side. I caught several triples of yellow bass at times. I tied on 3 jigs and on a long cast, if I hooked up with a yellow, I'd reel it in very slowly and other fish would follow it and hit the other jigs. I caught many more doubles. Everybody down there who was fishing with 2 jigs caught doubles constantly. I didn't catch many white bass down there or see anyone else get many. But there are plenty of stripers, guides go down there from NC and KY, and probably from other states. Early last spring I was fishing MH Dam at least 3 to 5 times a week. It's probably the best place to bank fish around my neck of the woods since the steam plants quit discharging hot water.

Then I caught several yellow bass at Bull Run Steam Plant in early spring. They didn't seem to hit any artificials over there, but they'ld tear up a piece of nightcrawler or a minnow. The yellows at Bull Run were much smaller than MH Dam, but there were much more white bass and catfish over there. However, Bull Run isn't going to generate any more until a couple of years, so that fishing hole is no more. Bull Run is on Melton Hill Lake about 25 miles upstream from MH Dam. Melton Hill Lake also has great fishing if you hit it right. TWRA stocked muskies in there and I've seen several. I was told by another fishermen there are Paradise Bass over there. A Paradise is a cross between a striper and yellow bass. They get about 15 pounds. A Paradise has the color of a yellow bass, but the body shape of a striper.

I believe the yellow bass would probably be at the tailwaters of Cordell Hull Dam in March or April. Ditto for Cumberland City Steam Plant or Gallatin. Does anyone know for sure?

20. dthrasher

dthrasher New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Not so great. didnt get much time on the water, too much going on. I look foward to 2010.