Rate the Best Fish!!

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by SpoonieKing, Nov 2, 2007.

1. SpoonieKing

SpoonieKing New Member

State:
    STL Missouri
    Greetings everyone. I have been on here a couple weeks now and decided to post a new question. what is the best fish to catch....and what is the best fish to eat. As a snaggin pro myself...obviously I prefer spoonie. catfish a close second. ~let me know what you think

2. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Cats are definitely one of my favorites to catch.

I do enjoy muskie fishing because of the chase and like bass fishing for the topwater action, but cats probably win overall.

As for taste, can't beat walleyes.

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I have to say that hooking into a decent sized cat is the best but top water for just about anything is exciting as heck too! My favorite fish to eat...as much as I like catfish and crappie...I have to say that halibut is the best tasting fish I have ever had!

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Walter, welcome to the BOC/SOC. Glad to see you decided to post. Everyones personal favorite will be different but mine would have to be blues. That is mainly what i target and if cleaned right are the best eating with flats a close second. I've eaten spoonbill before and it wasn't bad but it's not even in the same league as far as table fare as the other 3.

5. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yes Walter, welcome to the BOC! IMO, there's no other site quite like it. You can share and learn a lot here, so don't be bashful. I suppose my favorite rod & reel action is fly rodding for panfish and bass; been doin it since I was about 12.

I've never eaten spoonbill, almost bought a slab once at the fish market in Lexington, it looked good.As far as my favorite to eat, I'm a fish eater, period. I actually like a variety.

Ketch, some of the best fish I've ever put in my mouth was walleye pan fried in LARD. We caught them up on Lake Erie.

Man o' man, you speakin to my heart. When I was a teenager I worked at a gourmet dinner theatre and my favorite there was always the baked halibut in their butter sauce.

I've had blue cat before and thought it was excellent. As far as the fish I catch here close to home I rate them in order as crappie, coldwater bluegill, coldwater bass, flathead, buff, then channel. But as I said, I like variety. Rarely when I fry fish do I cook just one variety.

6. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i would say a new york striper for one its ike a catching a world recodr LM bass and they hit na striper strike good like a big LM and they taste excellent

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i like crappie and bluegill to eat, and nothin!!!! fights like a Flathead!!!!!! rollo

8. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Tuna, Mahi mahi & flounder are the best eating saltwater fish

Catfish, crappies & Hybrid striped bass (never caught pureblood so i cant compare) are the top 3 freshwater fish.

Best fighting fish I ever caught was my hybrid stripper. I thought it was a monster channel cat since i was fishing livers at night when it drug my pole into the lake with me & my niece diving in after it. Needless to say....It was good on the bbq.

9. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    My favorite fish to catch are flatheads. Thier the meanest fish out there. Second would be gaint blues and stripers. Muskies would be 4th. Thier alot of fun because your using lures most of the time.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I love all fish . as long as theyre big enough to strech my string I'll continue to multi species . as for eatin I love fish. Bluegills are my fav ,then Bluecat,walleye,flathead,channel and last are bass and crappie,the bottom hole is trout

11. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    The best to catch where I am......Big Cats or Fresh King Salmon (Pre Spawn)
    As far as eating Onieda Lake Walleye and/or Perch.

12. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY

Got any Pic's of that hybrid Stripper?

13. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    My favorite to catch are kats doesn't what kind love them all.

But to eat.Well I like to eat all different kinds, but the one that sticks out the most would be a big kat steak on the BBQ grill.

great post.We are all going to be hungry now.:dribble::smile2::big_smile:

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    salt water catch sharks eat flounder.
    fresh water got to go with flatheads being my fav.fish to catch and eat with waleye being a close 2nd.

15. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Here ya go... my niece took the picture for me.

Attached Files:

16. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    the best fish to catch is whatever you like most there is no fish that is overall better than all the others

17. br7874884

br7874884 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    if im gonna go fishin for the best all around fish id have to say mud cat. the fight, and the flavor is #1. not really. i dont eat fish at all. i perfer bass fishing. over anything. if it was up to me i wouldnt give anything else a try. but i have a 2 year old son that already loves fishing. i want him to try it all

18. SpoonieKing

SpoonieKing New Member

State:
    STL Missouri
    WOW! Walleye and Flatheads hugh? I wonder why flatheads would taste so much different than blues or channels? Heck...makes me wanna give up snaggin and buy the most expensive flathead fish finder I can buy! Wouldn't THAT be somethin!

19. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC Walter.
    What is the best fish to catch? That is a tough one to answer. If your talking about fighting ability Hybrid (closest thing to deep sea fishing in freshwater). Then again its hard to pass up a couple of pound trout on a ultralight with 2# test. But if I had to choose one I would say a Blue (I am just a catfisherman at heart).
    What is the best fish to eat? No fish tastes better than one that you caught yourself (I target Blues as far as cats because I think its the better tasting of the cats), but if Im in a restaurant ordering I would say Flounder #1 and catfish #2.

20. O2Bfishing

O2Bfishing New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I may live up in the hills but even I know that the ATLANTIC SPADEFISH is by the far the best and most fun to catch :cool2: