Rate Boat Motors

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Ace, May 18, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Does any one know how do boat builders rate motor size for a boat.
    Is it by horse power or buy weight.
    I have a 24 foot potoon it says it rated for a 90 HP.
    I have 115 HP I would like to mount on it.
    Hope some one can help.

:0a21:

:cat:

2. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio

3. Raypo

Raypo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i think it is a combination of the two.... i think its more to not make them liable for stupidity... for example joe the farmer brown puts a 225 evinrude on a 14 aluminum boat and goes into hyper speed... then joe says well no one told me I couldnt. My opinion go for it.. if its too heavy then you can always get plexi glass.. and trim up the hull cut outs in the back to keep more water out.

4. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    not so sure about going over recommended size. must take a lot into consideration. There is another post here, almost the same thing. list the reasons. main one that got my attention was the power rating of the stern. back of the boat may not be able to take it.

5. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Just dont get pulled over by the game warden or the coast guard or they will give you a ticket.

6. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
  7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The rating is there for a very good reason and it considers a number of factors.I would strongly advise NOT going for it, but if you do look at the weights of the two motors because one of the factors is how much the transom will support.You will get a ticket if you are inspected and if you damage the boat you will bear all the repair costs.I doubt if you will see any serious increase in speed either.I would certainly talk with the boat manufacturer before doing anything.:smile2: