Rare Spoonbill Catfish Video

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by lawnman61, Feb 24, 2008.

1. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
  2. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Nice shot of dead fish. Too bad. Are spoonbill really a catfish? Sure didn`t think so.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i dont know for sure but i think "spoonbill catfish" is a slang word like "shovelhead catfish" or "banker". i dont think they would be clasified as in the catfish family. someone correct me if im wrong, please.

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks for sharing the video Al!

5. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Thanks for the video. That's a Paddle fish (also known as spoonbill), not a cat.

J

6. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Tim-- There is a shovelhead catfish in South America, that is a true catfish. You sometimes see them in pet stores, but they will suprise their new owners because they can easily reach 6' in length.

I am not familar with a fish called a "banker" but it is probably a bottom feeder (like a lawyer) and not truly a noble catfish:wink: (just kidding)

7. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Someone needs to tell thta lady a sponbill is not a catfish, what a freakin dumb blond! Get your facts straight before you post somethin like that, lol! OTher than that not a bad video.

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    A spoonbill is not a catfish, but they are commonly referred to in some areas as spoonbill catfish.

9. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I think I liked the happy perky video better! LOL

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    WHAT FISH! All I saw was a clam. LOL!:wink:

11. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    The spoonbill is a paddlefish. The skeleton is largely cartilage.

12. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    some people should bother to research what they say before making something like this. yes their numbers are limited. it is a paddlefish. no where close to a catfish, it is possibly a very distant relative of sharks and their skeleton is largely made of cartilage. they are also filter feeders for the most part, similar to basking sharks, whale sharks etc. most that are caught on hook and line in the mouth are by accident as the fish swims around with it's mouth open filtering out various types of zooplankton and ends up getting a bait in it's mouth......and then there are the snaggers....don't get me started on them....:angry:

13. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
  14. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I thought that they were filter feeders and were caught by snagging.

15. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Spoonbill (paddlefish) is NOT a member of the catfish family , no offense Al someone just needs to let that lady know P.S. shame about all the dead fish

16. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
  17. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    they are not a catfish they are closer related to a stergeon,no bone just cartilige good eating and mainly harvested their eggs the rest is usually throughn away.such a waste

18. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thanks for the video Al.

A lot of folks call them Spoonbill Cats, doesn't mean we all literally think they are CATFISH, just what we heard em called growing up.

People sure gettin' fussy on here about it.

Thanks again.

19. Shreveport Mike

Shreveport Mike New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Paddle fish are in the sturgeon family, and one of the oldest species of fish. Paddle fish and sturgeon do not spawn until they are quite old. A sturgeon is around twenty years old before it first spawns and then only every two to four years after that. I think a paddle fish is some where around 12 years old before they spawn. The DWR in Louisiana reports that in the last decade they have been able to successfully artificially inseminate and hatch the eggs of paddle fish and release them into the rivers. Because of their success of this, Paddle fish can legally be harvested here, with a 2 per day limit, and a 30 inch lower jaw fork length. ( about 10 or 12 lbs.)

20. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    They are deffinately cool/funky fish. I never could understand why they are sometimes called spoonbill catfish, though.