Rare Lake Norman Catfish

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I was bored out of my gourd, so this afternoon about 3 I took some left over bait and fished in my back yard/Little Creek where the shoal is. I only caught one fish, but it is rare in the Catawba chain of lakes. Look at the photo's and guess what it is. WylieCat, hold your tongue and give the others a chance at it.

2. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro

3. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I'm gonna say white catfish???

4. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think you guys are right

5. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    I'm gonna guess a white cat. If thats what it is they're a tough little fighter. I've caught a ton of those at Belews.

6. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Matt, was first and he got it right. Thanks fellows.

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    My river is filthy with em. Biggest one this past year was 7#. About one of the funniset lookin cats you will lay eyes on. LOL!

8. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    The only photo you needed to ID this catfish was the first one depicting it's rays. A white catfish has 22 to 24 rays as does this cat.

9. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    Really need a picture of the tail to be sure. A white cat has a moderately forked tail as opposed to the deep forked tail and channel cat has. Also, Those barbs are uncharacteristically dark for a white catfish and the markings on the side aren't very definite.

10. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    SEVEN pounds!!! thats a huge whitey. record worthy. What river?

11. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I'd almost put money on that being a channel cat. I counted about 24 fin rays which is on the bottom end of the channel cat range and looking at the mouth it's way to narrow compared to the head. Also the upper jaw sticks out so much further. White cats have a more terminal mouth. Not trying to be a smart a$$ or anything just wanna make sure we get it right.

12. wtjordan84

wtjordan84 New Member

State:
    NC
    just looking at these pics I totally agree with fatflattie....Ive caught a ton of white catfish and to me the first thing i always notice is the big wide mouth and head. The mouth on this fish appears to be smaller and tapered like fatflattie said. The white catfish I catch always look really funny and there is no mistaking them b/c their heads and mouths always seem oversized compared to the rest of their bodies. However, with that being said, I know that Mac has seen enough channels in his day to know when he catches something out of the ordinary, so i dont doubt that it is a white catfish. It is just always hard to ID a fish unless youre actually holding it in your hands. Just for S and G's i've attached a pic of one of my "non-fishing" friends holding a white catfish he caught earlier this year on Falls Lake. Still not a great pic but I think you can tell what i mean about the head being bigger.

Attached Files:

13. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Wes, here are some more photo's to assist you in IDing this catfish. Take note that there is no deep V in the tail.

PS, the other Wes, there are other cats that people call a White Catfish, like in Badin, but I have never counted their rays and looked at their tails for IDing. Just like in some places, people call a channel cat a blue catfish. But, if you count the rays on the rear, behind the annal hole and look at the tail, most of the time you can make a proper Id.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  14. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    When I looked at the first photo of the anal fin I jumped to the conclusion that it was a white cat. After seeing all the photos, I'd bet my money that it's a channel cat. I've never seen a white with a mouth that narrow. My final answer........ Female channel catfish.

15. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/fishfacts/whitecatfish.asp

Take note of the white whiskers behind the nostrils. Also the four whitish gray barbells under the chin and the extra long side barbells. Also, the link mentions the same type of tail on my alleged white catfish. Bryan the mouth is quite wide, photo does not depict it very well.

16. Asartin

Asartin Well-Known Member

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin
    Nice backyard cat for sure...

17. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    Well I have to admit when I saw the first pics I thought Channel but after looking at all the pics I would have to agree with White cat. And a nice one I might ad

18. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The bigger white cats are often mistaken for the channel catfish. While the juvenile white catfish have a head that appears much larger than the body, as the fish grows its body takes on a slightly fuller shape compared to the head. The NC state record is only 13 pounds.

Funny story. One of the tournament series on Lake Wylie each summeronly allows channel catfish to be weighed in. At one of the weigh-ins, a particularly slow night where the three fish winning stringer was only twelve pounds, one of the other teams actually had a nice four pound white cat in their basket to be weighed. They finished out of the money with only about 8 pounds, and I didn't have the heart to tell them it was not a legal fish!!

19. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I still think it's a channel cat. I have just never in my live seen one that had a head like that. We caught thousands of them and measured thousands of them in fish houses while I was up in Elizabeth City and never saw one that narrowed down at the mouth like that. All the ones I have ever seen have a much more rounded than pointy head if that makes any sense. I tried to look up fin ray counts on google and even the scientific publications have differing anal fin ray counts for white cats/channel cats??????