Rare Arizona Jaguar Euthanized

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by rudepossum, Mar 4, 2009.

1. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Seen this on yahoo news. Never heard of a wild jaguar in the united states. Said this one was first spotted by a trail cam in 1996. I know here in southwest Missouri, they have said we don't have wild black panthers. My neighbor had one one their back porch a month ago. S how many of y'all knew you had them and has anyone seen one in the wilds of Arizona?

2. Jou

Jou New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hah, interesting... Never seen one of them in the wild, but with their pro blending-in skills I doubt I ever would :smile2:

3. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I read about it today. They said it was believed that no jaguar was north of Mexico since 1900 until they caught a glimpse of this one in 1996. Very rare, I didnt know there were any jaguars in Arizona but never seen any deer or mountan lions either and I spent alot of time outdoors in Arizona. I seen bobcats though.

4. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    I've never heard of that either. But I spent two years in Yuma @ the Army Proving Grounds. I was refueling my vehicle one night and heard this blood curdling scream. Sounded like a women being murdered! I had my side arm but scared the shit out of me. I went and got the patrol supervisor who was from Arizona. I told him and he just thought I was crazy. We went back rolled down the window and heard it again. He had no idea what it was either. About 20-30 minutes later a DOD guard called on the radio and said he had two mountain lions out side his guard shack. Later we found out it was matting season. Take-Care, Tim

5. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
  6. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    This cat has many names a Jaguar is a Cougar is a Panther is a Mountain Lion in other words fairly common.

7. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I retract the Jaguar as I confuse myself. Here's what I found......
    The cougar (Puma concolor), also puma, mountain lion, or panther, depending on region, is a mammal of the Felidae family, native to the Americas. This large, solitary cat has the greatest range of any wild terrestrial mammal in the Western Hemisphere,[3] extending from Yukon in Canada to the southern Andes of South America. An adaptable, generalist species, the cougar is found in every major American habitat type. It is the second heaviest cat in the American continents after the jaguar, and the fourth heaviest in the world, along with the leopard, after the tiger, lion, and jaguar, although it is most closely related to smaller felines.

I do know the largest cat in the world is not a Lion nor the highbred Liger. The largest cat in the world is the Siberian Tiger which is much larger that a male Lion. I watched a documentation which showed a Siberian and a Grizzly get into it. although the encounter is rare the Siberian was the most furocious thing I've ever seen. This monster male cat came down a snow covered hill on the Brown Bear and they squared off but it wasn't long before the Tiger dove on the Bear and sent him tail tucked running. The Siberian Tiger had all hackles up and reminded me of a Lions mane and with gigantic paws with giant claws that were retractible and extendable just like our kitty cats. In fact the Tiger is geneticlly the same as a domestic cat and a Lion is closer to a dog with nonretractable claws.

8. Jester2012

Jester2012 New Member

State:
    Arkansas

If you're counting man made animals as well, there's a cat even bigger and it's name I believe is Herculees. A wildlife zoo or something like that breeded a tiger with a lion and the thing weighs almost a ton. I seen that on the Weird, True, and Freaky show not too long ago. It's supposed to be the only one in the world but it looks like a mac truck with spinners lol.

9. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I saw a pic a while back in an Az wildlife magazine. It was snapped by a trail cam of a jaguar over in southeastern Az. A friend of mine who works over the Az fish and game told me that while they are rare in the states these few jaguars come to the us via the mountain ranges that extend from the us into mexico. I think that its pretty cool and I hate to think that one of these greats cats has to be put down...

10. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Been trying to find out why the cat was euthanized? Anyone got the full story?

11. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
  12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Fish & Game Authorities as well as state biologists in Kentucky deny the claim that they exsist in Kentucky. I know of 3 different occasions with 3 different eye witnesses,over the last 15 years. One guy who was working construction with me at the time, that Black panthers do in fact exsist in LBL in western Kentucky. These are very reliable sources who have no need to lie. All personal freinds of mine. While biologist have admitted to the fact that mountain lions probably do reside in the mountainous regions of LBL, they simply will not admit that the Black variety is in the U.S. People who grew up in the Land Between the Lakes, before the government threw them off their land, used to see these big cats all the time. The mountain lion or panther, and the Black Panther do in fact exsist in this region of the U.S. They are few in numbers and very reclusive, hiding in daylight and coming out at dusk and night to feed. I personally have not seen one, but I know of eyewitness accounts over the years. I have no reason to doubt it at all.:crazy:

13. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Im pretty sure that agencies try to deny the existence of different species in order to keep them off the list interests for poachers?:confused2: Along the same subject, I know a guy who flies helicopters for the border patrol here in Yuma. He says that there is a pack of Mexican wolves that they have been spotting on a regular basis not very far from where Im stationed.