Rapp report 8/30

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Rapp-Catter-06, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Rapp-Catter-06

Rapp-Catter-06 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Took the boat out of Little falls yesterday afternoon. The rain held off for the most part. I caught enough bait with three throws of the castnet. Caught a half dozen gizzard shad with one throw and a few white perch. The water was still a bit warm at 85 deg. I fished for a few hours and did fairly well. Managed an 18,7 and 27 pounds. I was surprised when the 27 spit up a peice of crab shell on the deck of the boat. I was only two miles below little falls.I guess the tidal river is really getting salty as dry as it has been.I ended up only fishing two spots but the bite was definately on. If you get a chance to go during the day give it a shot it was definately the time. All fish were caught in 25-30' of water off humps in the main channel. Gizzard shad and white perch were equally productive. Btw the river is still loaded with white perch.

2. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Good info! Do you throw your cast net around the waste water release on the Stafford side or maybe in the creek leading to Ruffins pond? I am asking because I usually spend time catching bait with a rod and reel and I am considering learning how to use a cast net. The only thing stopping me is my young children enjoy catching the blue gills.

3. Rapp-Catter-06

Rapp-Catter-06 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have several spots from one end of the river to the other where I look for bait. The creek mouth on the Fredericksburg side just below the ramp is where I caught them last time. I guess that's the creek to ruffins pond. I have caught them in the discharge areas as well. When the water gets hot they tend to be there due to the increased oxygen in the water. At the creek mouth I nose the boat up into about 4 feet and throw towards the mouth,sometimes they are there and sometimes they are not. The bait can be tricky up there. I usually catch bait around the flats at hicks because I spend more time down river. I haven't caught anything over 30 pounds that far up.