Rapid water fishing

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Drawout, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    What is a good way to fish at a spillway ? Does anybody have tips im thinking the fish will be right on the end of these walls.Btw on this side you can walk out on it.

Attached Files:

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I would think any where there is a current break. Big pieces of cut bait work well if you have blues in there as they are use to feeding on fish that come thru the turbines and spill way gates.

3. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Sorry for mispelled title, hopefully a Mod will touch it up for me.

4. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    How do you keep it their ? How much weight and should i change bait often since its current.

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    johnny weight is revelant to the depth and speed of the water.some of the wash outs that i fish below dams i use up to a lb.of lead.always tie your weight on with a lighter line than your hook and main line so the fish will break of your sinker and not your hook.good fishing

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    That is a mighty good looking spot. I have fished dams, albeit on a much smaller scale, like that one. If I read your post right, you are wanting to fish right at the end of the wall where there should be slack water. It looks like with the overhang that this could be difficult. I would try, probably with 8 oz. to flip a long rod down and under that lip or platform. Other than that, I used to use just enough weight to get the bait down, not keep it down, and let line out until it stopped, kind of a controlled drift. Today, I would set Gene's KatBobbers starting about 1 foot from the bottom, and bringing it up til I find fish. It's a lot of work, but can be very rewarding, especially during the "dog" days.

Good Luck,
    Shawn

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would fish that with a slip float rig or three way rig.

8. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    These are some very good tips guys keep em coming i will be trying them out.:big_smile:

9. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    What rig should i use ?

10. Reckinball

Reckinball New Member

State:
    NC
    I would think a carolina rig would work fine

11. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    DRAWOUT I FISH A PLACE ALOT LIKE THIS ONE ,I USE A THREE WAY (WITH LIGHTER LINE ON THE SINKER) WE USE THE BIGGEST SHAD WE CAN CATCH FOR CUT BAIT OR SOME LIVE BLUEGILLS ,WE HAVE CAUGHT PLENTY OF NICE BLUES AND GOOD FLATHEADS ,AT THE END OF THE WALL AND IN THE CURRENT .

12. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    About how long should the leaders be and would you put a cigar float on the bait leader ?

13. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    we use 10 to 16 inch leaders ,i have not tried a float ,but fishing the current your leaders will tangle-up from time to time ,so you will have to retie some.