Rapala 50 lb digital scale

Discussion in 'Fishing Weighing Scales' started by bull_head, Aug 15, 2005.

1. bull_head

bull_head New Member

State:
    Laceyville, PA
    I recently purchased this scale and I like it so far ...

its compact enough to fit in your tackle box .... but
    its will weigh any fish that I can catch up to 50 lb's

it has a memory funtion and a light thou I have yet
    to use either of them ....

it will auto shut - off after non use ... which is kool

its powered by a 9 volt battery ....

I have had no problems with mine at all .... I knew a guy
    that did have a problem with his ... he called the company
    and they sent him a replacement ....

IMO its worth the money you have to pay for it

mike

2. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I've got one like that and I like it very much. Fits well in my tackle bag side pocket. That auto shutoff is great too. Battery should last a long time.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Rapala scale, maybe it was just me but I bought 2 of em from BPS (on sale for $7.00) back in March one for me and one for little brother. After about 2 weeks both of them quit working. They would still turn on and 0 out but would not weigh anything after that. Not sure if they were on sale b/c of an issue or just back luck with mine.

4. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Tea, not meaning to sound smarty, but, it might be operator error. Mine did same thing when I first got it but can't remember what I was doing wrong. It's been workin fine since then and I've beat and banged it a lot.
    I think that it needed to be turned on for a few secs before hanging a weight on it.

5. bull_head

bull_head New Member

State:
    Laceyville, PA
    $7.00 was a bargin Tea ....

I got mine from the local bait shop and it cost me $32.00 if i remember correct

keith is right you need to turn it on and wait for the weight to blink zero before you hang a fish to weigh ... I like mine alot .... hopefully you guys didnt get a lemon .... but if you cant get it to work call the company ...
    the guy i know that had a problem with his ... his had water in it and it was about a year old ... he called them and they shipped him a new one ....

mike

6. catfish1605

catfish1605 Member

State:
    Findlay, OH
    I got mine two weeks ago at Walmart for $20.00.

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Hey now, I know I have to turn it on and wait for it to zero out. But would put the fish on after and nothing. Not sure what happened to em but they went to junk fast. Only other thing it could of been was that when we were out fishing that night it was real dewy outside. Could of possibly affected it. But heck, I dont know.

8. bull_head

bull_head New Member

State:
    Laceyville, PA
    Try calling the company Tea ....

sometimes thats the best thing to do if you cant get something to work right
    Rapala will stand behind most of their products and ship you a new one

mike

9. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    They make a few different models with different features. That is why the price difference.

10. yellowcat

yellowcat New Member

State:
    Hot springs, NC
    There are a few different models. I bought one of the cheap ones and used it for about a year before it died. I have a better one now, well maybe I shouldn't say better, It cost more and has worked fine for the last couple months I guess time will tell if it is better quality.

11. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I've used both and own both and I think I like the berkly scales a little better,They don't need the battery changed like the rapala.Just me :D

12. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

I purchased one from bass pro and it has worked very well,had it for about
    a year.my only question i have is why it never agrees with me? :D

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Has anybody used the Rapala type fish gripper and scale.I have a friend that says they keep slipping out of the big catfish mouths.He has the long handled model and he catches lots of large fish so he should know but I don't see how they wouldn't hold the fish.These are the Boca style grippers

14. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    I just bought the rapala big fish gripper, with the 125 lb. scale. I had a problem getting it to grip with the 54 lb. blue cat I caught, but it finally did work. I used it a second time, (Thurs.) and the darn thing broke. I am sending it back to BASS PRO. It sure seemed like it would work, but I think they are lousy. BUYER BEWARE!!!!

15. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Thats good to know, I almost bought one of those the other day. I guess I will just stick to picking the fish up with the hands and weighing them with the 50# rapala scale, it seems like anything dual purpose never works well for both things.

16. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have heard stories on the gripper model and everyone says about the same thing.They don't grip the fish good. I use the Rapala and last year I found out it goes higher then 50#lbs ;) (only 2 times) for me and river scum had 3 flatties that went over 50#lbs.

17. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Tea maybe you never caught anything over 0 lbs :p sorry had to be said LOL

18. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i like my 50lb rapala...i just hope that my only regret will be that it doesn't go to 100lb :D

19. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    Ya, i got one. It's ok and all, but when you get a 75.50 lb blue cat - it's kinda useless !!! :rolleyes: been there done that !

20. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    I just bought one of the Rapala Pro Guide 50lb digital scales today. Tried it out on a few bags of 4lb sugar (don't know why Dixie Crystal sugar dropped from a 5 lb bag to a 4 lb bag). Anyway, the scale seemed to be pretty accurate (if you can depend on the sugar weight, plus bag being correct). I weighed 4 bags. Three weighed 4 lbs 2 oz's and one weighed 4 lbs 3 oz. So, given the extra weight of the bag or possibly some excess sugar, they seem to be pretty accurate.

Anyway, I think this scale gives me a better representation of weight, as compared to my old Zebco deliar, spring scale. But, I sure wish a measuring tape had been built into the Rapala scale.