Rapala® Lock N Weigh 60LB

Discussion in 'Fishing Weighing Scales' started by rodpod, Nov 28, 2005.

1. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I have seen these at the local sporting goods store and now see them available on the internet. They look pretty sturdy in the package and are alot cheaper than boga grips. Does anyone have one of these? They are selling for around 70 dollars. If you do share your experiences with it. Thanks.

2. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I have one that weighes, at 75 lb, no complaints, caught a 43 lb blue and would not have got him out, with out fish griper on them ,left net at home.
    like the idea that you dont have to have big net in boat. Just my 2 cents,
    other may have different view.

3. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I have a small rapala 60lb its good but the gripper is hard to get loose from a big fishes mouth. I also have the one that weighs upto 125lbs and it has a larger gripper it is much easier to release fish. both are very high quality scales :D

4. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I have a small rapala 60lb its good but the gripper is hard to get loose from a big fishes mouth. I also have the one that weighs upto 125lbs and it has a larger gripper it is much easier to release fish. both are very high quality scales :D

5. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I found this on ebay on an auction for 44 dollars and im the only one that bid on it. So it cost me 51 dollars after shipping. Here are some pictures.

Attached Files:

6. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Here are some more picture of me opening the jaws. It opens up more than it looks.

Attached Files:

7. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    ive had my eye on those before but they are a bit pricey they look like they could damage a fishes mouth.is that an illusion?

the only question i have is
    not that i catch big cats but if it were bigger than 60 # it would be a drag
    to have the smaller scale and always wonder how much it weighed.

i can see them being very handy though in as much for handleing a bigger cat
    as well as weighing it.
    brent looks like you got a fair deal on yours.

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Funny this thread is here. I was in Dicks sporting goods the other day and they both (65 and 125) caught my eye. A nice big digital screen that would show up in a pic real well. HMMMMMM! Should I? LOL! Got a $100 gift card just burnin a hole in my pocket. LOL!

9. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I been thinking about those as well. Since I have so many walk in places, it be alot easier then carring a big net. I will do as Rodpod did, find it on ebay or craigs list. Thanks for the review!

10. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I saw those at a sporting goods store the other day too. I think they smaller. I was gonna buy them but I thought I'll wait till I come into some more money. Are they easy to use???

11. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    dont waste your money on the this unless you get the ones with the wide jaws. i bought some of these a couple years back and the only thing is, you cant get them over a big fishes mouth. i weighed a 46 # blue with them and had to break alot of its teeth out to get them off its jaw. also one of the little metal rods that open the jaws up broke while i was weighing a large bighead carp. had to get them welded. and one more thing, the numbers on the scale will wear off. i think it may be due to the fact that i use them fishing a sand bar and sand has got in them and the abrasion has caused this but i dont know. they are made good but i bought mine as soon as they came out and they have made improvements to the new models.

12. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I might give one of the Rapala Lock N Weight 75lb scales a try. I used to have a Rapala digital scale but I dropped my tackle bag and it rolled down a big hill while the scale was in it and it never worked after that.

13. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I have the 60 lb model. I would recommend the bigger one also. On larger fish it is hard to get the grip in the fishes mouth and even harder to get it out. Otherwise I like it. It really works well for holding a fish while you takes pics of it. I still like a net to land fish. But it is better than nothing.

14. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    The 75lb model has the wider jaws...

15. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Gave mine away to a friend who fishes offshore and keeps his fish!!! :hell_boy:

I had the wide jawed, 75 lbs model. Tore the hell out of the fish when trying to release it - poked holes in the lower jaw, knocked teeth out and just tore the fish up in general. The Berkley Lip Grip which goes for around $30 has worked like a champ and it's about $50 cheaper- never dropped a fish up to 42 lbs and releases them unharmed.

16. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    hey brent did you get that over dicks sporting good seen them there they seem to look good to me but the mouth looks kind of small hope it works out ok for you

17. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I have one and stop using it on the fish , the gripers are hard on fish cuts into them and hard to get them off must of the time, I us it with a weight bags and not on the fish. Scales seem to be right on must of the time won't get yopu down to ozs if your looking for the close.

Hope this helps out