Rapahanock

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by wiskeredwarrior101, Jun 11, 2006.

1. wiskeredwarrior101

wiskeredwarrior101 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Hi i live in the fredericksburg area of the rapahanock does anyone know of the catfishing in the area?

2. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    You're on one of the best catfishing rivers in the state. Start at the city dock, and fish south. Was a 30# er caught from the city dock a few years ago Also try the $2 hole and around Port Royal.

3. wiskeredwarrior101

State:
    virginia
    oh cool thanks for the info

4. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Just about anywhere from just above the old ermey(sp)dam down is good fishing on the Rap.

5. madcatter

madcatter New Member

State:
    West Virgina
    The Rapp. has good catfishing from Fredericksburg to Tappahanock. They have several tournaments a year at the bait shop/ramp at the 301 bridge. The Virginia Catfish Association has a tournament this sat. 6/17/06 at Hicks Landing from 7pm sat. until 7am sun.

6. Skrod

Skrod New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yep, you're in a great place to fish!

I used to manage the Aladdin's Castle video arcade in the Spotsylvania Mall there about 12-13 years ago and when I got off work alot of days during the summer I used to go to a great spot to catch fish there in Old Town Fredericksburg that nobody's mentioned yet.

Downtown has changed a bit, but used to be the Old Public Library (if on t 3 /Williams St and you come to Sophia St. you go left toward Rt 1 there -- don't remember the name of the street, Princess Anne? maybe?). If you go not barely a block past the public library, on the same side of the street (right) there will be the remains of what used to be an old VepCo power station -- a very small hydroelectric generating station that was built in the 20's or 30's and decommissioned in the 50's or 60's that used to power the streetlights in Old Town Fredericksburg.

Anyway, the outflow of this defunct power station (which isn't terribly large) forms a bowl about 80 feet in diameter with a depth that varies from 4 to 15 feet depending on where you cast into the "bowl". The "bowl" is flanked on each side by a concrete wall/embankment thing that rises above the water about 10 feet or so, and this is what you fish from -- the water flows out from the outflow bowl about another 50 yards or so until it flows straight into the Rappahannock.

Go there with small hooks and worms about an hour before sundown and use those to catch a number of bluegill and bream to use as bait for the rest of the night. Whole and cut bluegill/bream fished into various parts of the "bowl" would catch you decent-sized channels and blues all night long!

It was a really great spot that I miss to this day, 'cause it was nice and clean and dry and almost every night you were practically guaranteed a couple fish (and some nights a dozen!).

Anyway, hope you find it (I know it's still there -- saw it when I visited F'burg a couple months ago). Had alot of fun there and I hope this helps.

Kevin (Skrod)

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Don't know much about the lower end except what I've read (which is all good) but I used to fish the mountain end alot when I lived in No. Va. It's a great river. By the way, Welcome to the BOC there is a lot of good info here. Enjoy and have fun.

8. Skrod

Skrod New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Originially posted by Skrod:
    "Downtown has changed a bit, but used to be the Old Public Library (if on t 3 /Williams St and you come to Sophia St. you go left toward Rt 1 there -- don't remember the name of the street, Princess Anne? maybe?). "

I meant to say that it was CLOSE to the "Old Public Library..." -- just about a block or so past it.

Kevin (Skrod)

9. wiskeredwarrior101

State:
    virginia
    I know exactly what your talking about kevin ive never acctually fished it but i have been by it before ill try that next time normally i go down to the bridge on caroline and directly under it on the pileons are alot of cats

10. Rapp-Catter-06

Rapp-Catter-06 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I fish the Rappahanock exclusively and focus my efforts from Little Falls down to Tappahanock. There are some big ones out there. If your looking for a trophy size fish you need to focus your efforts in the tidal protion of the river. If your limited to bank fishing try the 5 dollar hole in King George or the banks at Little Falls. Those spots can put up fish over 30 pounds. To be successful on the Rapp you really need a boat . Bank fishing can be tough with the current and snags along the bank.

11. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    If you have a boat put in at the 301 bridge. If you are fishing with daylight there is a distinct (marked) channel in the area. Be careful navigating in the area the river can be misleading. Hundreds of yards wide with the majority being 1 - 2 feet deep at low tide. However this is a great area to drift at night when they are on the "flats" feeding. There are some serious cats down there. If you can make the trip try to go to the James river. A thirty pounder down there isn't worth a picture with some of the regulars.

12. wiskeredwarrior101

State:
    virginia
    Hey skrod i went to the old power plant and you were right i pulled prolly 30 blues out yesterday it was fun thanks for telling me about it