Rant and a Question

Discussion in 'Boating' started by cantstopgrandma, Jul 4, 2008.

1. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I went out last night with the wife and kid to watch some fireworks. I was on a smaller river I'm not completely familiar with, but figured I could make do. I took my GPS and my mag light. About a 9 mile run to where we were going to watch the fireworks. All went well, fireworks were pretty good. Off for the boat ramp we start. i was taking it slow, just going fast enough to plane the boat out. I had put a waypoint on my GPS where there was a duck blind in the middle of the river and when we got close I was using my flashlight to look for it. Something didn't look right. Come to find out, there was a 50 or 60 foot sailboat anchored in the middle of the river with no lights on the but the ones in the cabin. I Yelled at the boat as we passed it and kept my maglight shining into it. Much to my dismay nobody came out to discuss with me about there lights. It really scared me, cause the lights in the cabin were dim and looked like they were in a house on shore. I was really pissed, cause i felt this guy endanged me and my family's lives because he was too stupid to flip a switch!!! :angry:

On to my question, the all around white light I have on the stern really screws up my night vision, is there a way to make that better?

Thanks in advance and sorry about the long post.

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Sorry, I don't have a answer but I can share your anger towards ignorant boaters.

I myself was almost hit the other day during daylight hours. Long story but like you , I was pretty darn mad.

-Jim-

Since I'm also night blind I will be watching your thread...good question

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    They make shields that attach to the mast, just under the light, that are designed to keep the light out of the cockpit.

I've never used one, so I can't testify.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    hugh. well a phone call would maybe get a ticket there way. or attach a 10' chunk of sharpened rebar to the front of the boat to give ya a lil warning. then ya can slow after the rebar hits something.:wink:

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS

I added a 6' telescoping anchor light that is mounted just above the console, putting it about 8 feet above the floor of the boat. At this height and position, glare is not problem. It's not strictly legal as a running light because of the forward mounting location, so I use my regular stern light for that, but getting your light up higher might also offer some relief.

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    they make a no glare lite, i bought one at walmart for 32.56 and now i got it i would paid 100.00 for it , it works great

7. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Thanks for the replies guys. I seriously thought about cutting this guys anchor line, but my concience got the best of me. Thanks Dave, that west marine link looks like a good idea. Maybe I can fab one up with some scraps I have laying around. My light telescopes to 42 inches, so its long as it is, i didn't want it to be any longer because it flexes now. I have seen the "no glare" covers, but i like the fact that when i'm stationary and fishing right now, it gives off just enough light to bait hooks or remove fish. I guess if i make wanna them guards i'll hafta make it quickly/ easily removeable. There was no moon at all that night, so that didn't help my cause, and once you get about a mile into the river, no more channel markers either.