Range?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Colsrob, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    My question has to do with the 'range' of Flats...especially the bigger ones.

When sitting in a specific location, I look around and see other areas that look good. Some of them are quite a ways from where I am at. Then ultimately the question pops into my head: If those other spots are holding fish, will they go on the prowl and make it to my spot?

On a stretch of river(or even in a lake I guess), what would the "home turf" of the Flats?

I knows it's probably a guess, but I was hoping to get some insight from those that may have a better clue than I. It always makes you wonder. If that spot 500 yards away looks so good, will the fish from that area travel to me.

And yes, moving to that other spot may seem like the best approach, but as we all know, sometimes you just can't fish from the bank in every area. Not to mention, if you move, then you look back at your original spot and the wondering starts all over again.:big_smile:

2. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    On another message board I remember reading an article about flatheads. Flatheads will ride the main channel to seek food up to 1 mile upstream and downstream on a good night. Whether or not they sit down in other cover in the process I don't recall reading, but I've caught flatheads out of the channel on a few occassions. Especially right after dark, 9 - 10 pm.

3. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    I know this doesn't really answer your question Rob, but in my (pretty limited) experience I guess i tend to look at targeting Flathead locations as a two-pronged approach. You can target "resting" fish at their "home base" (Often a big snag/logjam/deep hole with cover). Or you can target active fish along the "highways" (along the main channel or a sandbar adjacent to a deep hole or any cover/structure they could use as a guide path to a feeding area) they travel to feed. Fishing from a boat is obviously a distinct advantage because you can cover so much more water and get to spots you often can't from the bank. From studies i've read i know that Flatheads are typically moving and ACTIVELY feeding for an average of only about an hour a day. So when bankfishing i guess i'd rather target ACTIVE fish so i look first for spots where i can access a "highway" they travel. If it's an area i can also target inactive/dormant Flatheads in their "home" then that's a bonus but it's rare to have access to both from the bank and enticing them to bite often requires more precise bait placement (which is also easier from a boat). Now if i could be pickier and FIND more bank spots with better access like that i might actually catch alot more fish!

4. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Now these are the type of responses that I was looking for. That info about the mile travel is very helpful. However, would that be 1/2 mile out and 1/2 mile back?:big_smile:

And Garrett, you are so correct. I wish so bad that I had a boat capable of being put into the Scioto in that southern Franklin Co area. As of right now, the place that I have chosen to fish, once I park the truck, it takes me about 20-25 mins just to walk to my spot. That is walking without too much interference. Since I have been catching fish, I don't mind the walk, but I sure would rather have a boat.:wink: I have been setting back some pennies and will be looking around for a deal on the right type that I want as soon as I get enough.

I just hate finding a spot that is doing fairly well, only to look around and see another spot that seems to look even better. It actually may not be, but when your not fishing it, it always appears to be better than where you are at.:big_smile:

Now I feel a bit better....with the idea that the fish in those other areas are probaly making their way down to me. Luckily, my location has a bit of rip-rap upstream from me, so they probably won't be heading too far through that. They are bottle-necked in my area.....I hope.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I belive if a flathead has everything in his home area, food, structure, depth, he does not need to travel far if at all.

Now this could change depending on water levels, such as a drought.

I dont think they will move much, untill they move into there wintering holes.

I have caught the same flathead 4 years in a row, from the exact same spot, I know it is the same fish because it has a deforemed lower jaw..If I remember right it has gained 9-lbs in 4 years.

This another example that cpr works.

6. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    A mile out and a mile back.
    I have to agree with Flathunter though.

7. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    It's a good thing that I can't see a mile in the stretch that I am fishing.:big_smile: I don't have to wonder about as many places as I already do.:wink:

8. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    While that is some good insight to have, it's not exactly what I was hoping for.:big_smile: Now I still have to wonder if all those other spots are better than my current one.

On a side note: I bought a couple of those retracting rod holders yesterday.:smile2: I'm going to try them out this evening on the river. If I can't use my boat, I might as well try to make things as nice as possible from the bank.:smile2:

EDIT: Oh, and 2+lbs a year is some good info as well. That's some serious growing. A lot more than I thought. He sure must be one eatin bastard.:big_smile:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  9. randy baker

randy baker New Member

State:
    arkansas
    if your on the bank you throw out as far as you can if your in a boat you throw to the bank if your on a river you throw to the other side no matter witch side your on it will always look better someplace else

10. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Actually, whether i'm on the bank or in the boat, I still don't cast as far out as I can. I only cast to where I think is the best spot. My current spot on the bank, i'm only casting out about 30 yards. And some of that is headed downstream, not towards the other side.

But we can agree about 1 thing: It does seem to always look better elsewhere.:sad2: Until of course, you actually go to that other spot...then it doesn't look as good as you once thought.:big_smile: