Range cubes

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by GUNTZ, Jul 8, 2007.

1. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    I HAVE BEEN READ AND EVERYONES TALKING ABOUT RANGE CUBES WHAT ARE THEY DOING WITH THEM.:eek:oooh:

2. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I think they use them for chum are to bait a hole to fish.

3. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    I THINK ITS CHUM BUT DOES IT FLOAT. OR SINK IF IT FLOATS HOW WOULD U USE IT:confused2: THANKS FOR ANY INFO.

4. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    I use them from time to time. Make sure you buy the 20% protien ones. The y sink and I usually toss two or 3 handfulls in an area, when the bite dies down, throw another handfull or two and it will pick back up.

If you want to bait an area or hole out with them I throw out quite a bit . Make sure to broadcast them in an area
    Hope this helped
    Cliff

5. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    HILLCOUNRTY THANKS ALOT FOR THE INFO I THINK IT WILL HELP I AM GOING TO TRY THIS . I WILL LET U KNOW IF IT WORK FOR ME :0a23:

6. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    They're a lot cleaner and easier to store than soured milo.

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've used them around my boat dock, they do attract fish. Once lower my underwater camera, where I had dropped some, there was some bream, turtles and small channel cats feeding.

8. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    If you are using them for chum, only throw out a couple of hands full at a time. The fish will eat them whole and the bite will slow down. I have cleaned cats with their gut FULL of them.

9. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i use them and they work real well. use the 40% cotton seed.

10. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    what do you use to fish after you throw the chum out?

11. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    I typically use punch bait to fish over baited holes or areas that I chum for catfish. I've had success with both range cubes and soured grain. Range cubes are a lot easier to deal with and don't smell nearly as bad. And my daughter likes to throw them in the lake. I won't let her get close to any bucket of sour mash. Minnows will also work over range cubes. The range cubes will attract minnows and other small bait fish with catfish, crappie and sandbass close behind.

12. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    are range cubes the same thing as mineral blocks?

13. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Range cubes are different than mineral blocks. Range cubes come in 50 lb bags. They are cylinder shaped about 3/4" diameter and 2-3 inches long. They are made of cotton seed meal, alfalfa and other grain products. Mineral blocks will mainly be made of salt and other trace minerals.

14. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Range cubes are cattle feed, kind of like rabbit pellets only larger.

15. nathan king

nathan king New Member

State:
    vernon tx
    range cubes,, never heard them called that. We call them cattle cake hear in V Town lol and thats what it says on the bag. I like the wheat myself but the cake will hold em in longer.

16. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    They're not cake shaped like cottonseed cake but round and about 1 1/2" diameter. Various lengths because they break when being milled but most about 2-3" long.

17. buddylee_ak

buddylee_ak New Member

State:
    United States
    typicaly how mch does a bag run?

18. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Around hear "Paris Texas" they go for about 7 or
    8 bucks a 50lb bag.

19. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    couldn't you do the same thing with deer blocks? i can pick them up for about $5 and they weight like 20 lbs apiece?

20. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    deer block is close to the same thing. but it is appx $7 for 50# cubes or cake depending where you live and $5 for 20# block. they both work so whatever you like. when i go to west texas they give me a hard time about calling them cubes. i am trying to change to calling them cake as near austin here the city people must have named them cubes as it is cake in real cattle country.