Range cubes...for catfish bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by TX Fisherman, Aug 25, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    ive heard about usin em but what do u do and whats the best type to use, and if ur usin one what should u fish with around it

2. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    we use them 2 ways. one is just throw a few handfulls out around the boat and fish should be around in 10 to 15 minutes. if we have a little current we put them in a 4" pvc pipe with holes drilled in it and let the current work for us. don't fill the pipe full or when they expand you will have a mess. we use danny king or mr. whiskers around the cubes and both work well. i am gonna use fish food in the pvc on the next trip and see if it is as good as cubes.

3. charlestoncatman

charlestoncatman New Member

State:
    arkansas
    what do you mean by range cubes?

4. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    a lot of people call them cattle cake. it is cow feed. the best are 40% cottonseed. the cottonseed also comes in slabs that are called cake here, but different areas call it different names.

5. charlestoncatman

charlestoncatman New Member

State:
    arkansas
    ok, i know what your talking about now...i remember those from when i was growin up, but cant remember what we called em..thanks..those work?

6. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I've used range cubes many times for chumming. Have had good results. I believe they were the ones with the 40% cottonseed meal in them.

7. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    what bout 38% thats all they have at the local feed store

8. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    and all you have to do is throw a few handfulls right outside the dock? does it matter day or night?