Random Tips

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by Katmandeux, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I'll start:

Take your camp chair into your tent with you at bedtime. It makes a handy place to pile your clothes up off the ground, and in the morning, your chair won't be covered with rain, dew, or snow.:wink:

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    If you forget your coffee pot just put your coffee in a sauce pan and make when it is ready just pour in some cold water all over the grounds that are floating. They will sink to the bottom and it will be easier to pour yourself a cup of coffee without getting grounds in it.

3. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    point the door of your tent towards the east i fyou want an early morning rise. (unless there is a blowing rain from the east lol).

in cold weather, try stuffing your boots in the bottom of your sleeping bag. that way when you get up, they will be about the same temp. as your body, and wont feel like frozen blocks of concrete.

4. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    never put a whole egg in or on top of a fire an sit near it :eek:oooh: u will wear it i learned the hard way :smile2:

5. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    make sure you sleep with your head higher than your feet.

Make sure your rain fly doesn't make contact with the tent fabric.

6. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Pool rafts are cheap, easy to pack, easy to inflate, and a heck of a lot better then sleeping on the ground.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Matt, what happens if you punch a tiny hole in the top of the egg first? I'd do the experiment myself, but since you're the expert, I don't want to intrude into your area of expertise. :wink:

Tricia, check out the prices on real air mattresses at some discount place like Wal Mart. I can tell you from personal experience that they're a lot more comfortable than a swimming pool raft. If you found one used it should be dirt cheap.

8. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Learned this one the hard way:

Always check the area where you are planning on pitching your tent for snake holes, ant hills, and ground nesting bees!!!:crazy::wink::smile2:

9. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 New Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Sprinkle a-jax or 7 dust around the tires and jack stands of the camper to keep out all unwanted ants or bugs

10. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have an air mattress for when I stay at campgrounds. I use the pool raft when I go camping in remote places and have to hike in. I made a mat out of a piece of tarp to go under the raft to protect it from getting punctured. The raft is cheap, light weight, and takes up little room in my backpack.

11. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Be sure your boots are broken in before setting off on a long hike.

Carry some moleskin for blisters.

12. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Urinals are good things.:smile2:

13. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Cabela's self inflating backpack air mattresses are worth their weight in gold.

Candle lanterns are real handy.

14. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Road flares are always handy when ya cant get a fire started, they will.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Pretty heavy, just to start a fire. Try cutting enough cardboard into 2"-3" squares to make a cube that size; soak in melted wax and let cool to make a cube.

16. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Try Fritos for starting a fire. Those corn chips are loaded with grease. They burn like candles.

17. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Masking tape, the plain old, cheap brown stuff you use when painting, is a great fire starter. Starts easy, burns hot and alot longer than you'd think.

18. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Eggs can be a real pain to pack when camping, so when packing I break my eggs into a Nalgene bottle, add my salt and pepper, then throw the bottle in the cooler. Takes up much less space, don't have to worry about broken eggs, and all I have to do in the morning is shake it up and pour it in the skillet.

19. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Thats a great tip! Thanks.

20. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    We used to get them and cut then into 4-5 pieces. Glue wood match heads on them and cover them with wax to seal it. The Match heads will lite the flare.
    Find a metal mini We have used them for small pancakes, muffins, Eggs and corn bread.
    I used to have the larger end of a fiberglass cane pole that I put a rubber end on for a walking stick. It would also hold 3 steel 36 inch long metal rods and small chain for a cooking pot to hang over the fire.
    When it was cold (below 0) I would get dressed the night before and sleep in the cloths to keep them warm. This also put the cold clothes on when your body was better able to cope with the cold.