Ramps on the kentucky river?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Kat-addict, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    Lookin to take a trip down to the Kentucky river soon and need info on ramps between the ohio river and lockport dam. Are their any besides the one at the mouth of this river? Let me rephrase that...lol are their any "open" ramps their? If not, does anyone know about how far it is from the mouth of the ky to the lockport dam? Thanks in advance for any help....Randy

2. Steve

Steve New Member

State:
    Indiana
    No other ramps that I Know of. Been awhile since I was there but as I remember its around 2 miles.
    Steve

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Randy, there are a few ramps on the KY River between the mouth and lockport dam. Most of them however are private and all of them are fairly hard to find if you have never been to them. There is around fifteen or more miles from the mouth to the Lockport dam, which is the number 2 lock on the KY. The first lock is lock 1 and it is around three miles from the mouth, has easy access from the public ramp in the Carrolton Point Park and is some of the best fishing on the river. If I was coming from afar, as you will be,I would suggest launching at the Carrolton ramp. It also has very nice parking there. Vern

4. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks guys....Vern you straightened up some confusion in my own mind....lol. I thought the lockport dam was the first dam, Guess it's not. I will put on on the big river and run up from there......once again thanks a lot...Randy

5. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Not my stretch of river but I bet it's about the best .

6. pamlee101

pamlee101 New Member

State:
    carrollton
    have they ever fixed lock 1? last i heard it was going to cost so much just to get the right wood to do the broken end and a very good chance the other end was mostly rotted to that they were talking bout not fixing it at all.

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Pam, Lee, there is no talks of fixing lock 1 . The last report I heard is that it was closed indefinately. Vern

8. Corndawg

Corndawg New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You have Carrolton point ramp. its at the mouth and runs about four miles up to the dam. You can't get through unless the water is up. The rest is the trailer park on the right, going south few miles down. You can pay and go. The next is go to Eagle creek, follow the signs. Before you get there, there is a small pull off and ramp into a small creek. Its about 150 yards to river. I have put my 18.5 in there and trolled out to river. I haven't fished much more south. Hope that helps.