Ramp Question

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by CatHunter24, Jan 19, 2010.

1. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Last time out Tanners Creek was frozen solid so I launched from Rising Sun. I saw numerous Duck Hunters launching and taking out from a ramp near Aurora Landing and the Aurora Eagles. I guess my question is, A. Is this a public ramp.....B. Has anyone used it and C. Is it save to back a 17 ft deep V in, aka am I going to lose my trailer etc. I never have heard anyone talk about it on here and looked at it one day with Fishmonster while we were down there....it looked a little sketchy. If it is safe to use however, it would save me a further drive to rising sun and the ride up river to get bait.

2. nateD

nateD New Member

State:
    IN
    i saw trucks with boat trailers parked there on saturday. there was a conservation officer writing up tickets or something for all of those trucks. i stopped and asked him about the ramp. he said it was private property and you are not allowed to launch there. i always see people bank fishing there but this was the first time i have seen any boats. did you guys do any good when you went out?

3. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hmm....he didn't say who happened to own it did he? I thought if it was private property perhaps the Landing owner owned it, or the Eagles or Elks or Moose...whichever is right there. Although when I went by i didnt see any signs posted for ownership....no trespassing etc. Sure would be helpful if they did that, im sure a lot of those guys didn't know it was private property. We got lots of bits and runs but no hook ups.....its been odd to say the least this winter so far. When are you heading out next?

4. nateD

nateD New Member

State:
    IN
    all he said was that the owner was from out of town. he acted like he didnt want to waste his time talking to us. you are right, there are no signs at all. i know that in the summer people bank fish there almost every day and i dont think they have any problems. i dont know when i'll make it out again. last few times out i havn't had much luck. i think it is supposed to be warm this weekend though. maybe i'll give it a try.

5. Steve

Steve New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Skippie2use and I watched them tow one guys truck and trailer for parking there. I thought it was part of the park owned by the city.
    Steve

6. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Guess my curiosity is going to get the best of me, and I am going to have to call DNR or Aurora's municpal building to get info on the ramp....and then complain about no signage if they are going to write people tickets. I mean, like steve and Nate said.....you'd figure or think it was part of the park or the city if no one posts anything...how are you supposed to know its private? If i was one of the guys towed or ticketed I would contest it on this basis for sure. I just would like to know what the deal is with it, for no other reason than I am inquisitive.

7. JUMPER

JUMPER New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    Here's the scoop on the ramps. The one on the corner is private and the lady who owns it lives in Arizona. There are two people who have permission to launch there. ( I'm not one of them ). The ramp at the park near the bathroom is public and not that bad of a ramp to use in a pinch. I talked with my buddy with the Aurora police and they said it could be used in the winter if the truck/trailer is parked out of the way. I work tommorow again and will confirm this again. ( I only asked for a couple buddies last week ). I know he said they will not let anyone use it in the summer due to the park being busier and I told him we have plenty of places to launch in the summer. I'll post tommorow after i talk to him.

Daytimedrifter ( Jason) don't use the ramp you used last week it was the private one, my bad least ya did'nt get a ticket.

8. daytimedrifter

daytimedrifter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lol i was one of the lucky ones, a CO was there as i was pulling out in my boat, some guy was down there argueing with him pointing down river he said we were fine an to go fish. apparently he changed his mind between then and now. making me think twice about your about your credibility on your word there jumper lol robby wouldve been mad to get stuck with that ticket.

9. JUMPER

JUMPER New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    I would have laughed my A** off Jason....

10. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Just curious if the Out of state folks were the ones getting the tickets? I have heard from folks who use that ramp tha the local CO at Tanners is often harrassing the Ohio boys,( after walking or boating right past Ind folks) so far I havent had the pleasure but I am sure it will just be a matter of time since i launch there all the time. Anyone else out there that can confirm this.

Salmonid

11. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Mark, I have never had a run in with them and I primarily launch from Tanners if I am not launching from schmidt. I have heard stories of guys, some BOC guys being harrassed and they did happen to be from Ohio. From other stories I have heard, Indiana DNR and CO can just be a-holes in general. Now, if they are strict on poaching and commerical fishing, then I guess I can deal with this inconvience....Ohio DNR seems to be pretty lax on these things....almost to a rediculous point. Anyhow, I just comply with the rules...and don't take crap. They tried to warn a friend of mine for launching out of Tanners and not having and Indiana fishing license....they take it for granted most people won't know the law, or the rules and regulations....I told him to tell the guy he was fishing above the 275 Bridge (which he was) and to kiss off. But thats just me, sometimes I am too confrontational and its get me in trouble. I just don't like people who abuse power, especially when they don't do a great job of enforcing that laws that they should most of the time.