Ramp at Winfield

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by smhmc6, Feb 18, 2008.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Anybody been to the ramp on the Walnut River in Winfield recently? I am supposed to get a new motor delivered this week for my 14 ft. jon boat and I want to break it in/ do a little fishing this weekend. But I don't want to drive that far (from Andover) if the ramp is too muddy or inaccessible. We will do a little fishing probably, but really don't care too much about the fishing... I want to use the breaking in to sort of explore some areas farther up the river that I couldn't get to last summer with a trolling motor. Any help would be great, thanks.

2. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Are you talking about the fair grounds?

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yep, thats the one. I went there once last summer just to try it out. Once I got there I was surprised with how "fishy" it looked, but with a trolling motor I only went up to a little past the rail road bridge. I'd like to do a little more exploring. I know last summer the ramp wasn't in the best shape, but I wonder if there's alot more mud washed up on it. I'm not so worried about lauching, I just wouldn't want to deal with getting stuck on the ramp or something... my luck it would happen.

4. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I can make call to my dad and have him drive down by there tomorrow if you would like.

5. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    That would be great... but if it is out of his way, I'd hate for him to make the trip.

6. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

State:
    Alma Kansas
    He lives there. We own 400acers on the river north of town.

7. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I'll call him tomorrow in the morning and have him drive by ther on his way to work.

8. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks, I'd really appreciate it. I think I'll try and fish down there a lot more this spring/ summer, so maybe we'll run into each other some time.

9. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

State:
    Alma Kansas
    No problem. I'll let you know tomorrow evening what he says. Ya I go down there every year after the first major flood to take in on the spawning flats that come up from KAW lake. Happens around the end of April to mid MAY,I'll be there for sure.I'll Post a thread before I head that way, maybe a bunch of us meet up then?

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Sounds good Chris , I was planning on going down sometime this spring to fish with Kyle anyway. Ill be ready.

11. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I cant wait!!Hopefully we have an excellent year for fishing.It seems like its been forever since I have had any luck.Last fish I caught was Dec 1st.Seems way longer.
    :dribble:

12. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well, I ended up going out to El Dorado Lake instead yesterday. I figured with the rain and snow we got... probably the ramps there would be in better shape. Probably shouldn't have gone anywhere at all. When I got there the ramp was still pretty slick with ice and snow so I chickened out and didn't even get the boat and new motor in the water. Even with pretty good 4wd, the last thing I wanted to do is to dunk my truck. I'm really getting cabin fever with this weather... maybe next weekend:angry::big_smile:.

13. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Thats a bummer.Better luck next time.

14. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well, I couldn't hardly pass up the opportunity to get out on the Walnut today. What a nice day... little windy and I was worried about that, but with the high banks it was hardly noticeable in most spots. Got to play around with the new motor for a while, probably went 2-3 miles upstream from the ramp and found some places that look like they could be good to fish. We finally decided on a place to sit and fish for a little while just upstream from the second railroad bridge where it y's off. There is a big log jamb there and it looked decent. No bites today, but it is still early. We did see 10 big ole gobblers on the bank so I idled up as close as I could, then shut the motor off. Watched them one by one hop up and fly down to the bank on the other side making that cool cackling sound. Also saw a nice buck and doe running along the bank. It really did my soul good to get out today, cabin fever was getting to me.

I think that river looks pretty fishy, I haven't found where they are but to me they have to be there.... am I way off? Is the fishing still good upstream of the ramp or is it only good down by the dam? I plan on heading out there as many weekends as I can and get to know that river and find the fish... unless I'm way off about it looking like it holds some good fish.

15. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Up stream or down stream it doesn't matter the fishing is good all over that river. Thanks for the report on my my honey hole:smile2:, late April early May I will be there to take in of that flathead spawn.:wink:

16. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey chris, do you mainly fish for flatheads on the Walnut or are you able to catch alot of channels too? April/May sure seems like a long way off to wait for the good flathead fishing... are you still able to find good channel fishing this time of year through the summer?

17. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Oh yeah, I forgot to ask. When I was out there Saturday I noticed a few campers out there. While I don't have a camper, I do have a tent... do you have to pay to camp out there? It would be nice to just make a weekend out of it every once in a while instead of driving 90 miles round trip in case I want to fish it two days in a row.

18. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    steve did you have any trouble getting into or out of the boat ramp in winfield?i have been thinking of trying it but have been a little leary of it.has anybody tried putting in at arkcity,i was thinking about trying that one to but have been down that way to try and find it.

19. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    The ramp in Ark City has a steep drop off at the end of it so be careful.:wink:

20. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    The ramp was pretty muddy in Winfield, there was probably 6 in. of mud but there is solid concrete underneath it so I didn't have any trouble. Still I would be a little hesitant if I didn't have 4wd. I don't know the condition of the ramp too far into the water, I have guide on bunks and a light boat so I just put my bunks barely under water and winched the boat up. I would imagine it isn't all that bad.