Ramblings

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by pythonjohn, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    For lack of something better to do I thought I would start a new thread where we could just sit and write about anything, frivolous or not, no catagory to look for.
    Please feel free to add your thoughts and ramblings on this thread.

I will start by asking some questions:
    I will end by making a statement:

Why do they call a Hamburger a Hamburger?
    Got tho thinking about this one because thats whats for supper.(on tonights whats for supper.)

Were French Fries invented by the French?

Who invented the bunns for Hamburgers ?
    As a child all I ever ate a hamburger on was slices of bread and still do.

Did you know that in 1986 the National Park Service bought a half acre on land in Southwest Washington D. C. for $230.000. In 1988 someone discovered that the Park Service already owned the land.....They had bought it in 1914.....Oopps!!

2. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    John:

The above quote Kinda reminded me of a line in the Monty Python "Beatles" send-up "let it ROT"

"After the band broke up, JOHN sued PAUL, DAVE & GEORGE, then PAUL sued DAVE, GEORGE & JOHN, then GEORGE sued PAUL, DAVE & JOHN, then DISASTER struck when Dave sued HIMSELF by accident!!" :big_smile:

Tight Lines & Good Luck!!

3. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've tripped over my on 2 feet. Does that count for anything.

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    The first hamburgers in U.S. history were served in New Haven, Connecticut, at Louis' Lunch sandwich shop in 1895. Louis Lassen, founder of Louis' Lunch, ran a small lunch wagon selling steak sandwiches to local factory workers. Because he didn't like to waste the excess beef from his daily lunch rush, he ground it up, grilled it, and served it between two slices of bread -- and America's first hamburger was created.

The modern hamburger (on a bun) appears during World War I. The White Castle restaurant chain was established in 1916 at Wichita, Kansas and by the early 1920s sold hamburgers. Some scholars say the first hamburger served on a bun appeared in 1917 at Drexel's Pure Food Restaurant, Chicago. By 1920 hamburgers on buns were sold in San Francisco and Cincinnati, and by the mid-1920s, hamburgers were recognizable to most Americans.

5. pythonjohn

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Some thoughts on gun controll.

With guns we are "citizens"
    Without them we are "subjects"

If guns are outlawed
    Only outlaws will have guns.

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    why is it that some of my customers think that they dont have to have the "cable box" connected to the cable in order for me to activate it for them?

Why do dead beats that have had thier service cut for non pay think that because they finally paid up after 5 mnths that they're special and shouldnt have to wait to be reconnected like a new customer has to wait for normal installation?

Why do people that dont have a clue and cant operate a toaster insist on renting equipment for their tv and talk down to us when they dont read the instruction booklet?

7. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Oh, man... at last a place to put all those random thoughts... and now I can't even skeer one up!

But I'll be back :smile2::tounge_out::wink:
    Thanks, John! This is gonna be fun...
    actually, it already is :big_smile:

8. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    scott.

i think the better question is "what makes water wet?"

people, in general and including myself, are not stupid, but they are inexperienced.

this is a poem i wrote the summer of my junoir year in high school after working on my uncles cotton farm for a month with my brothers. it makes me think random thoughts so what the heck.

the summer heat burns and boils,
    while me and my brothers labor and toil,
    the rows grow longer,
    as our backs become stronger,
    the mud is caked between our toes,
    and the smell of pesticides fill my nose,

when night does come we slowly walk home,
    to sip our beer and slurp our foam,
    with leathery hands we light our smoke,
    and pray the memories of the day will choke,
    we dream of rain... and pretty girls,
    with glowing eyes and flowing curls,

the coffee is black,
    and so are the skies,
    but there is work to be done,
    so again we rise.

randomish...
    j.d.

9. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    splitshot, I learn something new everyday. I never knew that . Thanks.
    All I know is I love Hamburgers with the works on them.

What ya got on hot dogs. Who made the first one. Why call em Hot dogs . Is it dog meat.
    LOL. Dont tell us what there made of. LOL.
    And who decided to rap them in corn meal with a stick .

Hey cable guy, the instruction booklet is in Spanish. LMAO.
    Maybe its like when we say, we're not lost and wont stop to ask directions.
    I know I dont need directions, sooner or later I'll get on the right road, no matter how
    many times I fill up at same store going in circles.
    Same with the remote, I use my whole hand an hit all buttons at same time, on all 5
    controllers, one has to be right. LOL.
    Seriously, when all else fails, read the instructions.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    And why is it when my wife mops the floor, even after it dries. she says I just cleaned the
    floor, dont walk on it.

What really gets my goat. Everytime I wash my truck, it rains. If I wax it, birds leave a little memory on it. What did I do to mother Nature.

. Why do wood peckers peck on my tin building?

10. pythonjohn

State:
    F L A Swamps
    They say "Igornance is biss and knowlege is power"
    What happend to me ???

:0a28:

11. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Here ya go Dan, all you ever wanted to know about hotdogs.....

http://www.berksfoods.com/FAQ/

http://homecooking.about.com/od/foodhistory/a/hotdoghistory.htm

And a tidbit of my own......where to get a good one - Peaches Corner in Myrtle Beach, SC. I don't frequent MB anymore, but it would almost be worth fighting the crowd to get a Peaches dog!

Best corn dog I've ever had.....the Circle Drive-In in Eden, NC, near Martinsville, VA. Their fries are great too.

Gees John, a lot of our ramblings always seem to be about food :big_smile:!

12. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Oh, one more thing......a good cold Pepsi in a GLASS bottle. I miss those, just doesn't taste the same out of plastic or aluminum, now does it? I realize you can still find soft drinks in glass sometimes, but it would be nice to be able to put my dime (yes I remember that) or quarter (I remember that for a LONG time) in the machine, and have an ice-cold bottled Pepsi pop out! :cool2:

13. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.

One thing that ALWAYS mystified me is:

If the traffic is crawling along at 3 MPH......

.....Why do they call it the "RUSH".... hour???:confused2:

14. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I think it's because of road rage, personally......RUSH = Really Ugly Scenes Happening :eek:oooh:. I HATE BAD TRAFFIC :angry:.

15. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    now that im hungry... RUSH -- that makes sense.

thanks for the feedback on the lil poem.

my random thought of the moment:

why do my employees ask for time off, and then complain about short checks?
    they are all literate and yet, yesterday i saw one guy sit his sandwich on top of an extremely hazardous chemical container (right above the label and msds --but below the warning sign on the wall) walk away come back and finish eating it. what part of POISON doesnt make sense?

16. pythonjohn

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Tanya,
    To ramble about food is a good thing.
    Just wait and see what my other ramblings are. ???
    Always enjoy your post, keep on postin.

:smile2:

17. pythonjohn

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Last night I had a dream,now mind you I very seldom have dreams.
    I do occasionly have nightmares about the past,,, but who dosen't ? You know the ones that make you wake up in a cold sweat fighting yor way out of the situations you don't want to be in. I don't think i'm any diffrent in that respect most people, Its just the last 40 years for me has placed me in the position to be in very unusual circumstance to say the least.
    Anyway on with the dream,and if you think that I 'm crazy thats ok too this is one of the reasons that I wanted this thread, so I could ramble and getting some of my thoughts out in the open and if anyone wanted to join me, which it looks like some of you do, I would love to hear your ramblings.You are all wecome to comment on my ramblings and I hope everyone feels that way, if not just let us know.
    Now if you are one of those pepole who dosen't like to talk about your unusual experiences,well maybe this thread is not for you but your welcome to just sit back and read and have a good laugh on us.( you can always choose to P.M. me and I promise not to tell anyone).
    I really didn't intend to say all of this but I did.
    The dream....
    I dreamed that I saw a UFO, yep I said a UFO, now personally I have never had that experience, only in my dream, anyway this was a large craft not one like you normaly think of and the beings were not your normal aliens they were large and ugly and some of them were between 6 and 7 foot tall and they looked a lot like bugs and reptiles to me, no small green men or little gray people. I also got the feeling that these things were not comming here with friendly intentions.
    There is a little more to the dream but at this point I won't go into it.
    With that said I have never seen anything but that dosen't mean that I don't believe.
    There are too many people who say they have seen UFO and aliens so who am I to say that its all hog wash?
    I gotta stop eating those raw onions at night before I go to bed I have been known to howl during the night.
    Well what do you think? I'am I crazy?
    Your comments are welcome.
    Just rambling.

18. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Relax, John. Those weren't aliens, they were my in-laws. They're harmless.

19. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well John, not crazy. I love to hear about peoples dreams and analize them. UFO's can mean "spaced out". It can also mean untried concepts,or the unknown. Can signify fear, new adventures,or new worlds to conquer. They also seem to be teaching tools that expand the mind.
    So.... you are a spaced out man that has a few new concepts to try out and then teach them to us. Then you can go conquer the world.lol.:wink:
    Have to do some more research on the giant bugs though.:big_smile:

20. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.

John:

I TOO had a problem with howling in the night....went to see the doc.....his diagnosis??

He looked (wide-eyed) at me & said:

"You are protected by the hypocratic oath so this conversation goes no further, you have a SEVERE case of Lycanthropic infection, there is NO cure & there is very little i can do for you...however, I STRONGLY recommend that you avoid SILVER!!!"

I walked away shaking my head in disbelief:

I mean....I've never even MET the Lone Ranger.... What business would I have with the guy's HORSE for cryin' out loud?????

THAT'S IT!!.... I'm switching doctors & goin' PRIVATE!!:angry:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.