Ramblings in Georgia

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by goshawk, Dec 13, 2008.

1. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I started off on Thursday looking at the the Doppler radar looking for a break in the weather. There seemed a decent chance of break that evening and the temperature sure seemed right, at least while I was sitting at my house.

Well I was right about the break, but my timing was bad. I had decided to head to the big lazer wild life management area near Talbotton Georgia.

When my wife and I got there the wind sure was a lot stronger than at the house and the break I had seen on the Doppler radar as fading fast. We found a wind break and started fishing, but it wasn't long before the rains came and began to dampen our spirits.

We did not catch anything, well OK one small cat fit for cut bait.

The next day my honey do list was quite long but it involved driving to Americus Georgia and at that point I hatched a scheme to do some recon work on the lower Flint river just below the Blackshear damn at Warwick Georgia. We pulled up on Friday about an hour before sunset and there was one old fellow that had two poles set up on the rails by the damn and he was sitting in his van keeping tabs on his poles.

My first observation was that his poles where bigger. Dang story of my life. You see I have on light tackle with maybe 10 lb test line. The thing going through my mind is should I worry, I mean so far it sure has not been an issue for me with loosing fish because they were so big they snapped my line or broke my pole. Still a new pole would be nice and even if I continue to catch cut bait size fish, at least I have a good excuse to give the wife for the expenditure. Do all brother hood of the catfish folks fish with heavy tackle?

Luckily the old fellow as a pretty nice guy and we got to talking. He has been fishing the area below the damn for many many years. There is a free camp ground area that is small but does have a few minor type amenities such a water, bathroom and showers.

He said he has cough a 50 Pounder there and the 20 pounders are not unusual but of course he had not caught anything that day. One does have to take fish stories with a grain of salt. I said hey I heard flat head don't bite much in winter, but he said hog wash that they might not bite as much, but they bite. !

He was fishing with mullet guts which sounded good since I can go buy mullet and save the guts so at least I'm guaranteed to eat fish that night!

Well my plans are to return the Warwick Georgia with my lighter tackle (until I can by that heaver rig) and see what I can catch.

Has anyone else around here fished that area?

Pat

2. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    No I haven't but a guy i work with swears by mullet gut you can find a fish house and get them to save some

3. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I forgot to mention on other interesting item shared by my crusty old friend: He uses nails when fishing below the damn because there are a lot of rocks and supposedly by using nails he said he had less hang ups then with conventional weights and when he lost them at least nails were cheaper.

I guess the long slender shape can wiggle through snags better.

Pat

4. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    pat, havent fished there, but it definately would not hurt to have gear to land the fish you are targeting. Christmas is just around the corner, perhaps thats the best way to get your gear. :wink:
    as for the fish stories.......ask for pictures..lol

good luck out there man.

5. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    The nail wieght sound like a great idea. I'm going to try it. I'm up here in north ga. So I don't even know about the area you are talking about but thanks for sharing the nail wieght idea.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The nails are very interesting. I wonder how much a 16 common weigh??. Thanks for sharing with us