The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

441 - 460 of 532 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,793 Posts
Good morning from Lake Norman where we don't have ice jams like this >>> Officials watch ice jam as Missouri River drops to lowest point since 1908 | Local | columbiamissourian.com

The young lady I mentioned yesterday died early Sunday AM. The woman had the best of situations, was a Pediatrician, had joined a group of other doctors in a primary care facility, within a year after joining this group she developed problems with her Colon, had several operations, had horrible pain and was given strong pain killers, which she became addicted to and thus, had to leave the group until it was under control, which never happen. She had almost a dozen operations for this condition (Colon), but the last one caused liver failure and other problems, all of which terminated her life.

We think this is a great big old world, but in some cases it's not. Back in the 80's and 90's I had a female friend who was a successful real-estate broker and had her own company in the town where my company was. She had mentioned to me that she had help support a young lady thru college and medical school, with monies left to her from her father's estate and how proud she was of the young ladies success. .All of this happen sixty some miles from where I currently live and this young lady became a close friend of the Squaw's after she moved (2019) into a house across the street from us on the lake.

Oh yes, we have weather, nothing to brag about, like a high of 47 degrees today, over night low of 31, with some wind out of the South, along with cloudy conditions. .

Follow up on Todd's post >>> "One of the most common fish types used as pests nowadays is the “pacu”. This is a freshwater fish under the Serrasalmidae species. This species also includes the piranha, but unlike these, pacu fish are very peaceful. They have flat, broad bodies with fins on their bellies and backs."

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
870 Posts
I made great headway on my winter time chores. Chain saw has been acting up. I ended up putting a new air, fuel filter and spark plug on it. Man i didnt realize how bad it was running. Got all the hurricane damage cleaned up at moms. Got her holly bushes trimmed too. Only thing left is to clean the gutters out. Ill have to break out the ropes for that.
Cleaned my gutters out and got the leaves up in the front. Did some leaf work in the back but will need them to dry out some before carrying them around front. Its currently raining so thats no help. Pruned all the bushes except the crape myrtles. Busted on the wood pile some.
Supposed to be in the upper 60s several days this week. gonna be nice. If we could get out of this weather pattern id like to go fishing. lately were having post front days every weekend.

Justin hope your leg feels better. 3 bank battery charger is some of the best money i ever spent boat wise.

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
2,012 Posts
Glad that ice is not up here now. Up here we decided the ice needed a vacation. Sent it south for spring break. Water temps from dams about 33 now.

70 degrees is a decided nice warm up. Last Monday, minus 25. Today, 45 above.

Had blood pulled this morn. All ok. A1C of 6.7. Now waiting for wife to get out of cataract thingy. Doing same thing for her other eye Wensday.

Later

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
We left the house at 11:50 yesterday and was at the tail end of a double long line. Must of been 500 cars in front of us. Debbie got her shot and we headed home. She hasn't been to a grocery store in a long time so we stopped at Aldis. Everything was picked over very well, no bread, chips or bottled water. They had milk and most every shopping cart had 4 gallons or more. I sent a text to the skinny neighbor asking about milk. They shopped Saturday and didn't find milk at 3 stores. Her husband was heading out when we got home. Later she replied, got milk.
We got home at 5, I put things away and started dinner with what we bought. Zoom auction started at 12:30 no clue of what I missed. I bought very little and the it ended at 11:40.
The temp got up to 47 yesterday and water was rushing most everywhere. 52 at 11:10 pm and it rained heavy for a minute. Almost no snow and ice this morning. Only piles left.
46 feels like 42 WNW 8 mph wind.

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
2,012 Posts
Yep, all that ice will move the wood tangles that you fished last year.

Must need to go fish. Ma and I had a breif discussion of birds and windows. When we look out the window and see the birds we are inside looking out. If that is so, when the birds are looking thru the window at us, are they inside looking out also? That is with all perspectives the same.

That brings up another thing. What do fish see when in an aquarium looking at people. We see fish. Do they see monsters that feed them?

Long winter.
Later

·
Premium Member
23,793 Posts
"That brings up another thing. What do fish see when in an aquarium looking at people. We see fish. Do they see monsters that feed them? "

Along those same lines, I've often wondered if I crap what I eat or eat what I crap.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
I am down river if that ice jam. Hope it comes loose easy. Not in a hard rush. That ice can do a lot of damage fast to the dikes and banks. 53 deg in the river bottom today. Snows about gone. Gasconade was still iced over when I went to work. Should bust and clear out with the river coming up from the melt. Getting closer to snagging season.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I went to take money to put deposit on the used trolling motor and make sure it was the right one. He measured it and it was 52" not the 60" he said I needed. So he said he needed my boat to take a measurement again. He didn't take one the other day he just eyed it. So I drove home and got my boat and brought it back and he measured and he said the 60" would have been to long it needed the 52-54" shaft so the trolling motor I'm getting is actually a Minn Kota Fortrex that retells for $1400 new it's 1 year old and the guy that had think she used it 5-8 times and I'm paying $475 for it. So the guy said leave it and we will get started in a day or so and I said I won't have money for a week or so and he said not a problem. But he needed my key and batteries and fish finder I had at home so I made yet a third trip home and back. Mind you I live 25 minutes driving freeway speeds away. So I'm tired. But I think I'm getting a good deal the only reason the guy took off his trolling motor was he went from a24 v to 36 v on a 2019 22' pontoon.

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
1,143 Posts
I thought I was smarter than this but I have to plead temporary insanity. Here is the story.
About a week ago BIG RED finally got to use her snow shovel. That part went well.
I even helped a little. When we got done there was still ice where we had driven on it before shoveling.
I told her I would take care of that with some driveway salt.
She quickly said NO!!! I don't like the white stuff left as it melts.
OK then - I went inside.
I looked out later and asked her what she put on it.
KITTY LITTER - Sandy told me it was good on ice.
I told her that kitty litter was made out of cooked dirt and it would make mud.
no reply - just the stink eye.

This morning she went out to get the newspaper and came back in with muddy shoes.

Now, I know better - but somehow I said I told you so. I instantly knew I screwed up.

Yep, I was right - I screwed up.
View attachment 323074
The gray stuff is kitty litter. The dark gray stuff is wet kitty litter.
I will never speak about this again.
Russ,
I shared this with my bride and she had a good, rather evil laugh over it. Thanks, she needed that. :)

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
870 Posts
Troy,
My pups like to alternate between laying in front of the fire and curling up in the blankets on the dog bed. Currently Pip has made a nest out of blankets and is curled up in the bed.

The mind works (or dosent) in mysterious ways sometimes. I fixed up a pot roast yesterday morning. Left it in the fridge for the wife to put on when she leaves for work. Im sitting at my desk at 1:00. I realize i didnt put any water in it. I give her a call. She didnt put water in it either. She had a retired family friend in the chair. She drove over and put some water in it for me. It was on 2 - 2.5 hours. Luckily it was fine.

441 - 460 of 532 Posts