Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 929 Posts

· Registered
2,703 Posts
Mac,
I showed Sweet Wife your post about the quilting rack and spinning wheel and I could smell the belts burning in her thinking machine. :) There is no possible way for us to swing by but I thought I'd let you know at least one wife was excited by the offer. Maybe a husband in your area will be a hero by taking it off your hands.:D

· Super Moderator
25,680 Posts
The stew beef or is that beef stew left a good aroma in the kitchen yesterday. I served it in large soup bowls and requested the Squaw to taste it first, she did and said, "it's good', nuff said bout dat.

If I can believe the WG, today ain't gonna be fitting for nuthing and I can handle dat. . 35/45/30, cloudy, no wind speed or direction offered in the forecast :oops:

Pork ribs fixed some way for supper this evening. Bake sweettaters, with brown sugar or maple syrup, will be one of the sides, fer sure.

Neighbors and friends from afar are loading us up with a lot of sweet stuff :cool:

· Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
1,550 Posts
My phone is showing snow in the forecast for midweek here also.

Kudos to Mr Morris. Article said he's 94, and I'm assuming he's still driving. Also from the article, ("...stuck under the clutch a brake pedals..."), the vehicle has a standard transmission.
Kudos to him.

· Registered
Mark from Bartlesville OK
1,847 Posts
Went to the pharmacy to pick up meds yesterday. Older gentleman in line behind me. Thought to myself he was in his 70s. We chatted a bit while waiting.

I let him step up to get his script and they asked his date of birth. He said Feb 1926. A little quick math and I thought damn he is old. Hope if I live that long I can still drive to get meds.

· Super Moderator
25,680 Posts
Mark, I finally got a date for my Rezium procedure, Feb. 1, 2023, it be.

When I got the pork ribs out of the frig, right off, I knew how I was going to fix them. Going to go the sweet/sour route, never fixed um dat way.

More bad news this AM, my old Marine buddy informed us he has Colon Cancer and possible liver Cancer. VA has set him up with Novant for treatment. He goes in for the colon cancer the first of the year, followed by a scan of his liver weeks later.

· Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry to hear about your buddy, Mac. Bad time of year to learn. Recently lost a long time freind. His started with colon. He passed in a hospis as it progressed to a brain thing. Took 5 years.

Since it not to get above zero for 4 days went back to long johns. The bad will be the ground blizzards with the coming dry snow and 40 mph winds. In those you can see the sun above you. But the 4 or 5 foot near the ground one cant see 10 feet.

We lost a snowmobiler over the weekend. Went thru some thin ice on lake. Another reason to always run with others. Took awhile to find what happened to him. Another got hit by auto when he flipped snowmobile on hwy.

Gotta go to town today. Get bird feed and kitty litter. Cats love watching birds, rabbits and tree rats below bird feeder.

Later

· Super Moderator
25,680 Posts
Motor vehicle Wood Road surface Asphalt Tree

Any of you farm boys ever use one of these. In 1962+- I helped my first father-in-law dig a basement for a house he was going to build. The area to scoop out would be way larger than the house, exterior measurement would be 60x30', but we had to start a distant from the new foundation for a drive-in basement, plus the other end so we could use the scoop, then after it was over, he moved dirt from one end to the other to cover the far end of the house excavation. He showed me how to use it and told me if I hit a rock, let go of the handles, good advice. We took turns with the scoop, which was pulled by a mule and a couple of days with a Farmall Cub. I can't remember how long it took us, but I took three days off work, and we worked on weekends until it was finished and ready for the foundation to be poured and the concrete blocks laid.

Here is a photo of the spinning wheel, etc. But the bench and other stuff was way in the back of the storage bldg. and I didn't want to have to move a lot of stuff.
Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Wood Rim

· Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Cool and partly this morning on the farm. My wife has relapsed, had a horrible night last night. Got to coughing so hard I thought she was going to pass out from lack of air, she is a non-drinker but I poured a shot of Burbon into a little honey and that seemed to knock her cough down enough for her to catch her breath. Kind of strange how we both had it and I am doing well after using OTC meds, and she is still struggling with it while using Rx. meds.
MIL called this morning; wife told her not to plan on having the X-mas breakfast at our place this year, not sure what she has is contagious, but she does not want to risk spreading it to her dad whose health is poor anyway.
The woods in this area are about as bare as they are going to get so I am back to cutting Autum Olives, they are the most aggravating things I have ever tried to cut, they have to be cut about three times due to the way they grow not putting the weight over the lean. Bar pinching beast for sure.
On the way out of the woods yesterday afternoon I saw 30 deer just north of my pond, all skin heads. While I am done hunting this year our archery season is still in, but it would be hard to get drawn on one with 60 eyes looking around. Not sure why they heard up like that, but they always do about this time of year around here.
I hate to, but with the wife being sick guess I will dawn the mask go to WM and pick up some groceries, would about as soon eat a grub worm as go there the week before Xmas.
Yes Mac, I have used one. Helped what I thought was an old man at the time dig a small pond in a field he was fencing in for cattle. It's slow but he was paying me $0.50 per hr. so it was OK.

· Super Moderator
25,680 Posts
Mac,
I showed Sweet Wife your post about the quilting rack and spinning wheel and I could smell the belts burning in her thinking machine. :) There is no possible way for us to swing by but I thought I'd let you know at least one wife was excited by the offer. Maybe a husband in your area will be a hero by taking it off your hands.:D
Neill, the spinning wheel the Squaw has is called a Great Wheel, most likely it's over two hundred years old and missing a part or two parts. It appears that it is a homemade deal, not sure.
Antique Spinning Wheel Identification and Value Guide (txantiquemall.com)
You can order the parts or make them if you are good at this sort of thing.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Electrical wiring Gas
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design
Wheel Bicycle tire Plant Bicycle frame Automotive tire

If you want it for Sweetie, it's yours to have and fix. Shipping charges will be taken care of by another Rambler and I will expose him if he tells me it's OK.

1 - 20 of 929 Posts