The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
941 - 960 of 1004 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I picked up my 3 boxes of free food this morning. Went through 1 box for what we wanted. Carried the boxes to my kids for what they wanted and brought some back to the skinny neighbor.
The neighborhood was full of stinky smoke, I could see smoke coming up from behind the crazy neighbor's house.
Debbie bought some stuff from a local online sales shop. I picked it up plus they had a parking lot sale. Stopped at 3 Dollar General stores and found 3 packs of Keystone Ice at the last one. That makes 6 stores I've been to since Wednesday and only finding 3 packs..
Got back home and the smoke was thicker. Stunk so bad I ran for the house and haven't been back out. Skinny neighbor's husband went to the mailbox then called the fire department. She said they put the fire out. Hope they gave him a ticket for burning trash.
Sasha and I sat at the fire pit last night after I got home from the auction. I noticed she didn't bark toward the crazy neighbor's yard like she usually does. Something didn't look right so I got a closer look. Looks like he found a 12X24 tarp and split it in half. It was hung on the 6 ft fence between us almost the full length of the fence. Great, I don't have to look at his garbage, just a green tarp, which is fine with me.

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #944
Good to hear Mac's wife doing better. Also great he got out to catch a few.

Do not know if we gonna have stinky smoke here in SD or not. Now there is a lawsuit on constitutional grounds of the legalisation. I remember driving many decades ago in car. Was always made to drive for everyone as smoke got passed to all. Seldom my car. They said they felt safe way I drove.????? Cant remember if it was ok driving on dirt roads. Maybe 15 to 20 mph, 8 track playing loud, keg of beer in trunk hose to back seat.

Could still stop car and chase down coon, grab it by tail, wack it on head for its fur. Ohhh the speed and agility of youth. Night vision helped alot.

What has fur prices been of late?

That resembels the Moron Bros house boat.

Later

·
Premium Member
23,559 Posts
"I picked up my 3 boxes of free food this morning. Went through 1 box for what we wanted. Carried the boxes to my kids for what they wanted and brought some back to the skinny neighbor. "

canebreaker, where do you get free food ?

Stripping sheets off the beds and washing them as I type, here's hoping I did everything right !!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Desoto County Dream Center for free food.
I don't know all the facts. Area churches got together to pass out food to others. Someone gave a large donation to help. Area warehouses donate some or offer it at a reduced rate.
Yesterday's 30 lb box had 1 gallon of 2%milk, 1 quart of 2% milk, 1 quart chocolate milk, a pack of sliced cheese and 3 small yogurts. 2 packs of 4 precooked chicken thighs in juice. 5 lb bag of potatoes, 3 lb bag of apples, 3 lb bag of onions, 1 stalk of celery.
By their chart I could pick up 7 boxes for 5 families, 3 is plenty.

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
932 Posts
Just looked at the long term weather and it looks like no fishing for a WHILE. I'm in grief over the loss of my fishing.
Well it's the time of year to do some hunting. I went for a long reconnoiter in my hollow and saw lots of coon sign but hardly any deer sign to speak of. We are in the middle of gun season right now but almost no hunter traffic. On opening day a few came out and we heard a couple of shots. Arkansas Game and Fish has liberalized the bag limits to try and get the herd thinned but I fear the CWD has already done that for them.
Most likely I'll be working my coonhounds and My little dog Charlie needs some squirrel training.

·
Horse-MON
21,361 Posts
Just looked at the long term weather and it looks like no fishing for a WHILE. I'm in grief over the loss of my fishing.
Well it's the time of year to do some hunting. I went for a long reconnoiter in my hollow and saw lots of coon sign but hardly any deer sign to speak of. We are in the middle of gun season right now but almost no hunter traffic. On opening day a few came out and we heard a couple of shots. Arkansas Game and Fish has liberalized the bag limits to try and get the herd thinned but I fear the CWD has already done that for them.
Most likely I'll be working my coonhounds and My little dog Charlie needs some squirrel training.
Coon hide be worth anything this year?? They said bobcat might be $25.

·
Premium Member
23,559 Posts

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
932 Posts
Coon hide be worth anything this year?? They said bobcat might be $25.
Coon hides have been pretty much worthless for some time. In the '70s and '80s fur was very popular, even in men's fashion, but animal rights organizations have changed the national conscience over this. This is sad as it only shows one side of the issue. Without any natural predators, raccoons, opossums, skunks etc.. will overpopulate and then with dwindling resources die a miserable slow death of starvation or disease.
I have known some who champion restoring wolves and cougars into these areas. Only problem with that is this is an agricultural area and mostly livestock farms at that. Farmers and wolves are never going to get along.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Yotes, wolves and cougars were removed by our forefathers for a reason.

It was raining this morning when I got up, had to wait about changing the water pump. Burnt up 5 high dollar reciprocating saw blades, $12 each, but they did the job.
49, wet, partly cloudy.

·
Premium Member
23,559 Posts
Mac when Frankie told you to go fishing did you slobber a little bit???? LOL

I said, I need to cover the LUND before the wet front comes in and she said, it's not due till Wednesday. So I obeyed her wishes. Slobbered over it, don't know, my mind and concentration was tuned in to where I would fish, you know what I mean.

My SPAM mail folder set a record this AM. I had 77 items listed as SPAM, very few of a sexual theme.

Harvesting my leaves today and might do my new neighbors front yard, might not.

I fixed the Squaw a good breakfast this AM, waffle, sausage patty and one agg over easy.

I started off with a double on the perch yesterday morning. GOPR1852/LKN/White Perch/November 22, 2020 - YouTube

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
737 Posts
Mac,
Great news about frankie. Good on you for taking good care of her.

Well our trip to the tenn. river was less than spectacular. Caught a few fish. 17lb. was the biggest. I did learn a thing or 2 which is always good.They had a catfish tournament on Watts Barr. We talked to one of the boats. They didnt have any more success than we did. Didnt think to ask the name of the tournament. Sure would like to know the results.

One of the advantages of living in town. All i have to do is get the leaves out to the ditch. The city will come buy and vacuum them up. A few years ago i bought a husqvarna back pack blower. Some of the best money i ever spent.

941 - 960 of 1004 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.