The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

441 - 460 of 544 Posts

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #441
Saturday morn, not good. Besides spending the night in a motel, very expensive at 150 bucks, woke up to white stuff on everything. Friday afternoon semi blew tranny. 1.5 millon miles it let lose. Nursed it to a good shop where it still is. Should be fixed about Wensday.

Ma was gonna come get me. 9 hour drive. Instead the man I hauling for kinda orded me to take his pu home. Getting another tranny from him also. That pu was scary to drive. He told me it seldom gets used. 2020 Ram with 1680 miles on it. Diesel even. Too many fancy doo dads on it. Then had to make several stops as no smoking in it. Nice to know folks trust you with things.

Sounds like he has several weeks of hauling to do when rolling again. Might as well, think winter is setting in for awhile. Temps of 30s for highs. Welcome to ND.

Bird season just starting up here. Many out killing those purty imported from China birds. But they taste very good.

Probly gonna get boat ready for winter parking. Have seen some slews getting ice on them in morn. One week 80, next week 30. Did have two days of 60 but 30 plus wind.

Later:)

·
Premium Member
23,488 Posts
Forty six here on the lake, high of 66, sunny and not enough wind to blow a match out.

Good to see vortex back.

Bill, I would like to see a pickup or car transmission get a million and a half miles on them, IJS.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
My daughter bought a house. She has a crew working on it before moving in. Her boss called the company and said, it will have a new roof on it. Yes sir, let me get a crew on it asap.
She wants the popcorn ceiling removed. Ok, they find 3 dark spots that's being replaced now.
Wednesday she calls, bought a used bedroom suit, can I help her brothers move it. Suppose to meet seller at 12:30 pm Thursday. Oldest son starts getting ready for work at 1pm, he's out. Younger son has a LP crew show up at 11:30 to run a line from the tank to the house, he's out. The seller helps me load the chest, dress and 2 bedside tables, that's a truck load. I stop by my house for my 2 wheeler. I get that furniture on the screened in back porch with a flat on the 2 wheeler. Another load with the king size bed frame and box springs. I line up the oldest son to help Friday morning to move the mattress.
I head to the store Thursday for a 4.10/3.50X6 inner tube. Home Depot, out. Lowes, out. Tractor Supply, $19. Dang, they were $10 at HD and L.
Thursday night my daughter calls. Steve thinks he left his gun in one of the bedside tables. Dang, they are up against the wall with everything in front of or on top of them. My son is suppose to be here at 9:30 Friday. I get up early, go to the house, move things to get to the tables. I find a 9mm S&W in a holster. Drive to pick up my son and head for the mattress.
We finished the move and looked over the backyard. Lot of trees within 10 foot of the fence and all are leaning toward the center of the yard or the house. We figure some 40 trees need to be cut down. We'll cut and remove what we think is safe for us. She can hire a monkey for the rest.

·
Administrator
10,478 Posts
Hey Bill, sounds like you had a really tough week. But someone must have been on your side. Being able to limp to the shop saved you a chunk. Having a transmission available was a huge bonus. And having a new loaner to get you home saving the wife a long road trip is not something most would get. Finally hearing that when your trans was installed you would have plenty of hauls to recuperate from the expense is another sign your Karma, if there is such a thing, is pretty strong.

Good luck and
Stay warm

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
At the auction last night the seller didn't have much that I cared for, for the price he wanted. About 2 hours into the auction I bought a case of Blue Def for winter diesel fuel treatment, 12 bottles for $6.They will go to the youngest son for his truck and tractor. Later the seller had a spool of rope. 150 feet of 3/4" that looks like ski rope, 1,091 pound work load. I got the bid up to $25, he wants $50, nope.
Next item didn't sell so he starts a table deal. He loads the table down pretty good. Dang, he throws the rope on it. What I cared about on the table were 10 rolls of hardware cloth, 1/2"X24"X10' and 4 rolls of poultry wire, 2"X72"X50'. 6 boxes of 3" deck screws. At Tractor Supply that would cost about $610, but to much junk I didn't want. The deal sold for $250. I got the rope from the buyer for $20.

·
Registered
Mark from Bartlesville OK
1,615 Posts
Well got the steer hung up yesterday. A little less than 3 hrs from shot till it was hanging. Temp was 38 in cooler this am.

Will wait about 10 days to cut up. Got a new vacuum sealer coming to package the meat. Bought the bags for ground meat. Will be a lot of work.

Have a great day Ramblers.
20201017_140340.jpeg
20201017_140337.jpeg

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Mark, I put a rolled up paper towel in the top of my bags to soak up any juice before it gets into the vacuum pump. Otherwise the pump will suck juice.
Bought a chamber type machine which should eliminate that issue. The bags are less expensive and was worried the inexpensive machines would not run continuously without needing to cool off.

Spent more than I wanted but it is commercial quality and automatically starts when you close the lid. Thought as much as I need to do it would be worth it.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I have an electric grinder from cabelas. I am a little concerned it may be to small for the amount of meat that I will have. I know the hiefer that caused my broken ankle sold about a month ago and weighed 940 lb. This steer was much bigger. I am guessing around 1300. Will be a lot of grinding. Even with help it was tough to hang the hind quarters, that is why one is still on the come-along.

I wish I had a tenderizer for some of the tougher steak. May try to find one this week.

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
686 Posts
Morning ramblers,
Ive been on a 3 day trip to the Tenn. river. Ill post a report later. From looking over the news ticker. I didnt miss much. Same ole crap, different day. I cant wait for the election to be over. blah blah blah

Walked in the house and just shook my head. The wifey is cold if its not 90 degrees outside. Yet, its 62 degrees in the house. Shes so cheap, she would rather walk around dressed like a eskimo than turn the heat on. All women are crazy. Its just a matter of where on the 1 - 10 scale each one falls.

Cheap,
So you seal a paper towel inside the bag?

·
Premium Member
23,488 Posts
Every couple of years or so, the question comes up whether it's a good policy to catch and release fish. Here is a link to a small article about catch and release >>> Does Catch-And-Release Affect Fish Feeding?

Now I'm not schooled in higher education as to matters like this, but this I do know from my own experience. I have caught fish that had one or two hooks in their mouth or stomach and have seen some hooks that get hung up at the anal hole.

Meanwhile, back on the dead end road along the shores of Lake Norman it's a little bit chilly 47 degrees and here are the number for the rest of the day, high of 72 with an overnite low of 45 degrees.

NASCAR race was OK yesterday, pro football was so so with paper people in the stands.

Still having tremors and I told the Squaw the other day I think they will out live me, so for her not to get excited when I'm room temperature and my body is still shaking !!.

An old member of the B.O.C. and the Rambling thread called me late yesterday. His user name was Tha Bear and we talked for over thirty minutes about this and dat. He is/was a Jack of all trades and a good person to know. He moved from this area to the Foothills of NC recently and got him some acreage and an old house that he and his wife have restored themselves. I've known him since the 80's when I joined the Lake Norman Striper Swipers.

441 - 460 of 544 Posts