The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

21 - 40 of 469 Posts

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ma got me out to town today. Got a couple tshirts. Even able to walk around yard this eve. Keep this up might get to fish next week. This minor chill of 40s at night 60s day, then back up to 80s next week should kick in bite.

They never said it was gonna be hard on body. Was told easy peasy. For them.

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
829 Posts
Went to a new, (to me), hole that my fishing buddy remembered. He was unsure just how to get there but he assured me it was about 200 yard walk through the woods. One of our friends caught a 30 lber there last year.
Well, when my friend says couple hundred yards what he means is 1/2 mile through the woods filled with saw briers and three creek crossings.
It is a beautiful spot, one of those pothole pools that get trapped in low water about 6 feet deep at the deepest as best I can tell. Got there right at dark so no time for my usual practice casts to wet the line and judge casting distance.
In the first half hour I caught a 6lb flathead and he nailed a 10 lber. That was the end for me. My bait got pecked to death by dink fish but he caught a another flat and a blue. It's possible the water was just too low or the bite was just off. I will likely try this spot again.
I have decided to shop amazon and find a tackle backpack for these journeys. I had my tackle box strap over my head and my chair strap over my head from the other side and hands filled with bait bucket, landing net, fish stinger and three rods when I stepped into an armadillo hole and sunk to my hip. :eek1:Yowie! Be a lot easier with a backpack,(Sweet Wife's suggestion).

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
829 Posts
The really cool thing about this trip is it is the first fish I have landed with my Fire Stick rod I bought last year. I take it out every time and had a few takes but no hookups. Since my skunk breaker is a flathead I think it's a good sign.:smile1:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Here's to hoping for many fish both big ones and tasty ones. Haven't heard of the fire rod though that's why I like this site is to learn about equipment (beside reading about everyone's day and techniques)...the fire stick rod isn't related to the Amazon fire stick for TV is it? Rofl

·
Horse-MON
21,244 Posts
Went to a new, (to me), hole that my fishing buddy remembered. He was unsure just how to get there but he assured me it was about 200 yard walk through the woods. One of our friends caught a 30 lber there last year.
Well, when my friend says couple hundred yards what he means is 1/2 mile through the woods filled with saw briers and three creek crossings.
It is a beautiful spot, one of those pothole pools that get trapped in low water about 6 feet deep at the deepest as best I can tell. Got there right at dark so no time for my usual practice casts to wet the line and judge casting distance.
In the first half hour I caught a 6lb flathead and he nailed a 10 lber. That was the end for me. My bait got pecked to death by dink fish but he caught a another flat and a blue. It's possible the water was just too low or the bite was just off. I will likely try this spot again.
I have decided to shop amazon and find a tackle backpack for these journeys. I had my tackle box strap over my head and my chair strap over my head from the other side and hands filled with bait bucket, landing net, fish stinger and three rods when I stepped into an armadillo hole and sunk to my hip. :eek1:Yowie! Be a lot easier with a backpack,(Sweet Wife's suggestion).
That sounds like something a hillbilly would do, glad you didn't break a leg!!!!

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
673 Posts
Weve been hacked again!

Funny i tried to join this site a long time back. I could never sign up. (it was security software problem) We get hacked on a regular basis. Does that mean im computer illiterate? LOL

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Not knowing where Sally would go I got out and cleaned and cut the front yard. It looked kinda tall after the city told both neighbors to cut theirs. Guess I scared the rain away.
Woke up at 3:15 to go to the bathroom. I heard a light roar outside, I listened a bit harder. My crazy neighbor was out cutting saplings in his back yard. I looked over that way this morning, yep a pile of fresh cut saplings. Then I saw what he used to cut with. An angle grinder with a 10" blade. He ain't right, he got a 3rd DUI this week and says he doesn't drink.

·
Administrator
10,418 Posts
Weve been hacked again!

Funny i tried to join this site a long time back. I could never sign up. (it was security software problem) We get hacked on a regular basis. Does that mean im computer illiterate? LOL
I am doing my best to keep up with it but we often get spammed when I am snoozing. If you catching fish like in your avatar, who cares about computers. lol

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
829 Posts
Here's to hoping for many fish both big ones and tasty ones. Haven't heard of the fire rod though that's why I like this site is to learn about equipment (beside reading about everyone's day and techniques)...the fire stick rod isn't related to the Amazon fire stick for TV is it? Rofl
I got it for Christmas on Amazon prime,(free shipping), but their website says it is currently unavailable. Here is a link to the seller says available soon.
https://firewatermarine.com/products/the-fire-stik-76-catfish-striper-casting-rod

I really like it, it handles well and casts like a rocket, but as I have said I haven't had much luck with it so far. Hopefully that will turn around.

·
Registered
Jon from Indiana
1,330 Posts
Boys 3rd bday today, growing up fast.

Mac I see you like playin with that fire!

Cheap hopefully you passed everything out.

Good to see ya Catpaw.

Justin, he gave me my first like when I first started here. I had never been on a forum before, so I didn't know how things worked. I didn't know everyone saw everything you post even if its in your state area . I was so confused why someone in Cali was liking some Indiana boys post about flatheads haha.

Neill congrats on them flattys, and yes backpacks are the way to go.

Tom you are doing good with them spammers. They must be on the other side of the planet because I've also noticed its usually in the middle of the night.

Hope everyone is doin good. I try to check in when I can, parenting is a full time job and a half:bruised:

Oh and Keith...I aint mowed my yard in over a month!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Justin, he gave me my first like when I first started here. I had never been on a forum before, so I didn't know how things worked. I didn't know everyone saw everything you post even if its in your state area . I was so confused why someone in Cali was liking some Indiana boys post about flatheads haha.
I know exactly what your saying I was confused to. Thanks catpaw for being such a warm welcomer. That's why I try to welcome newbies because of his example.

·
Premium Member
23,481 Posts
Aaron towed my boat to the canvas shop yesterday to get a new top and sides put on. Boat has been setting awhile and the pee hole wouldn't make water while he was transferring it to the boat launch, so it looks like I'm gonna to need a new impeller, pee hole was opened, and thus I will get that replaced and get the lower end lube changed. There is a boat repair shop in the same complex as the canvas shop. I wasn't allowed to help at all with the boat transfer to the canvas shop according to the Squaw's and Aarons orders. The $1,200 I got from GOVCO will assist with the cost of the work scheduled

Wednesday was a bad day for me, tremors hit my body real bad Thursday, so Friday one of my meds was cut in half under doctors orders and I was OK yesterday.

21 - 40 of 469 Posts