Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 314 Posts

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
2,717 Posts
Thanks Cheap.

Early weather says maybe a sprinkle on Friday. Of course tho the winds of 20 plus. Nicer temps of 70s for weekend.

Watched a utbue of a prehistoric type fish caught in 1930s. They said another caught in the 50s. Also saw a thing on pacu type fish being caught in Florida. Guess they not as bad as piranna.

Spagetti for sup.

Later

·
Premium Member
6,540 Posts
Not wishing my life away but I am ready for some fall weather. I guess I am getting really soft, went outside pre-dawn and thought the temps. were not too bad so went back in and got suited up for squirrel hunting. Got to the woods and while the temps. may have been better the humidity was very, very high, I was sweating sitting still under a white oak tree and the skeeters acted like they hadn't had a decent meal in two weeks. Think I will give it another two or three weeks before I go again.
I have 40 acres in the CRP tree program, unfortunately when I put it in the program 30 some years ago the state was providing Ash as one of the species. They grew fast and developed a canopy which shaded out most of the underbrush, the unfortunate thing is the Ash Bore has killed 90% of the Ash trees and the rest are dying. Today I gathered three gallons on White Oak acorns, does anyone know if they will sprout if I go and plant them next to each dead Ash?

·
Old Squeezer
22,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not wishing my life away but I am ready for some fall weather. I guess I am getting really soft, went outside pre-dawn and thought the temps. were not too bad so went back in and got suited up for squirrel hunting. Got to the woods and while the temps. may have been better the humidity was very, very high, I was sweating sitting still under a white oak tree and the skeeters acted like they hadn't had a decent meal in two weeks. Think I will give it another two or three weeks before I go again.
I have 40 acres in the CRP tree program, unfortunately when I put it in the program 30 some years ago the state was providing Ash as one of the species. They grew fast and developed a canopy which shaded out most of the underbrush, the unfortunate thing is the Ash Bore has killed 90% of the Ash trees and the rest are dying. Today I gathered three gallons on White Oak acorns, does anyone know if they will sprout if I go and plant them next to each dead Ash?
Here is as good as I know.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I looked at Pam at walmart, $6.91 for a 5 oz can. I got a few different flavors of Chef's Own, Buttery is in a 6 oz can, got it on clearance for $1.49 per can. Got 1 can of olive left. I'll try it when we get to go to the lake.
White oak acorns will pretty much burst open and form a root, get an early start asap. Red oak acorns will wait around until next year to start their thing.
Well, the nurse said stitches aren't ready to come out. Go back next week.

·
Super Moderator
25,328 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
I’ve been pulling a lot of overtime at work. Today was going to be 12 hours and Although I definitely believe hard work is a damned fine thing for a man I also think that every so often it’s ok to have a little down time. So I believe I’ll just do 8 today and maybe sneak off to the rifle range to get in a little relaxation. Tomorrow night I might even go fish for a bit.

1 - 20 of 314 Posts