Rake marks on a bullheads tail

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by CaseyB, Feb 11, 2018.

1. CaseyB

CaseyB New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Name:
    Casey
    I was fishing today on a neighbors pond and caught a speckled bullhead with what appeared to be recently healed 'rake marks' on the back portion of his body before his tail. Could these have been caused by a flathead? There are supposed to be flatheads in many of the nearby ponds but I havent heard of anyone putting flatheads in this one. The marks were on both sides of his body and met at the top.

I have been fishing this pond for a few months and noticed I never catch a small bullhead (or any bass or channel cats for that matter) The bullhead with the marks was the smallest yet.

If there are flatheads in this pond, how do I catch them from the bank? I have put a few large bullheads on hooks and let them free swim but no luck so far.

2. music4cash

music4cash Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Jeff
    I don't know if there are flatheads in your pond... but it sounds like bullheads would be your best bait to find out...

3. BBK

BBK Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Kevin
    If you want to find out, invite some buddies for a campfire at the pond. Throw several rods out from just off shore to out deep baited with whatever live bait is in there. Sit and drink some brews and see what you catch.

4. Zeke

Zeke Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Name:
    Derek
    That sounds like a walleye or pike.

Other cats would leave crush marks, not rakes. Yes?

5. Brackish*Water

Brackish*Water Active Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    Might be claw marks from a hawk or owl that tried to grab him.

Or a chupacabra.

6. MattTheFlatCatKid

MattTheFlatCatKid Well-Known Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    I was thinking chupacabra too.

Cuda and Trophy Flathead Hunter like this.
  7. CaseyB

CaseyB New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Name:
    Casey
    You guys are being silly, everyone knows chupacabra are poor swimmers.

And I WISH we had walleye and pike down here. It gets too hot for them in the summer for them to survive. :(

Has anyone on here set the hook too soon and pulled their bait out of a flatheads mouth?
    I have been looking for pics on here to compare it to. Next time I will have a camera.

8. BBK

BBK Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Kevin
    More times than I will admit in public. Now I just let them swallow my circle hooks and let the circle do its job and get it in the corner of the mouth. Sometimes I let them chew on it for 3-4 minutes if they aren't running with it.