Raising Worms for Catfish Bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Whistler, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Original post made by Phillip Gaines(Deltalover) on December 26, 2004
    Raising Worms

One of the most universal baits for just about every fish known to man will at one time or another, take a worm. When I was a kid, my dad and I would go fishing and a shovel was a major component in our fishing arsenal. We would stop along the irrigation ditches and dig worms for our fishing trip. The left over worms were put in a big tub full of dirt which he covered with a piece of carpet. He would keep it moist and spread watermellon rinds and coffee grounds over the top for food. It didnt take long to have a constant supply of worms.
    My knowledge of worms have come a long way's since those days. For instance, I didnt know that one pound of red worms can turn five pounds of kitchen waste into one of the best soil enhancers (worm castings) ever known or that one worm consumes it's own weight in kitchen waste per day. I also had no idea how fast worms multiply. At maturity (3 monthes), each worm gives birth to over 1000 worms in a twelve month period.

I have been to just about every web site on the internet about raising worms. In my opinion, most of them are trying to sell you something. Cant blame them for that! There are many people very passionate about growing worms, weather it is a hobby or a million dollar bussines.

You dont have to buy your worms. Find an area of ground, that is not in direct sunshine. Earthworms are very sensitive to light and vibration. Actually light starts to close off capillaries in the worms skin, through which it breathes. Deprived of oxygen, the worms head downwards, deeper into the ground. Worms do best in a temperature range of 40 to 90 degrees. You can use a meat thermometer to check. In winter use more manure to keep temperature high enough and in summer, use more moisture to keep your worms cool. Spread some coffee grounds or manure, and shreaded newspaper or cardboard ,( you want equal amounts of high carbon a materials like paper and high nitrogen materials like grass clippings, coffee grounds or manure) and cover with a peice of carpet or burlap, keep moist and with in a few days you will have worms for your bins. I dont use a bin, because if the conditions are not right, the worms have no place to go and will die. I use what is called a windrow which is directly on the ground. I keep adding layers of newspaper and layers of coffee grounds, dry leaves and grass clippings. My worms keep producing. I now have thousands of red worms and a constant supply of nutriants for my garden. This method will not work with most variaties of night crawlers, with the exception of "european nightcrawlers", because they have different requirements. A major one being they do not like to be disturbed. Also of the 500 or so species of worms, there are only about 5 species that are used for worm farming, red worms being the most popular.