Raising Pheasants

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by tomflatcat, Jan 3, 2008.

1. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Does anyone have any experience raising pheasants? My plan is to buy about 30 chicks and grow them in raised cages like rabbits. Will that work? Do they eat the same thing as chickens? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Haven't done that in 25 years or so ,but the one time I tried it I hatched the eggs in an incubator and before any were fully grown they all killed themselves by repeatedly jumping up and hitting thier heads on the top of the cage. Seems that you cant breed the wild out of them to me. If I were going to try again I would build a tall enough walk in cage to be able to stand in and use the 'TOP FLIGHT' nylon netting to cover the top with ,its soft enough to prevent birds from hurting themselves when they fly up into it.

3. JJ42

JJ42 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I tryed some one time that was enough for me ,you will need a pen with top at least 8 foot high .They need a higher protein feed that chick's ,need feed like you would feed quail .Hope this help's you a little .They are some wild little bugger's.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    nope, but studying a tape i got today wity my first mounting kit. be skinning one soon. mounting a couple flying ones. watching danny owens mount one at a taxidermy contest. hes a world renound bird taxidermidt. pretty cool.

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    They are a tough bird to raise, worse than quail. You need flight cages, of considerable size. They are so spooky they can literally die of fright of you or anything else. I have a number here feeding in my back yard. It has been a tough winter here and they will come to our feeders. I can easily observe them and they are fascinating to watch from the standpoint of their interactions with themselves and with the environment. The only luck I have had with them is hatching them or quail or wild turkey under a real broody banty hen. They will drive a mama banty crazy. I almost feel sorry for her and I don't do it anymore. Sent some pictures if they come up. John.

Waiting here. Got to resize them. Gives me some more time to yap. We have a quail hatchery here. They ship worldwide. I used to inspect their hatchery when I was a Vet for government paperwork. A fascinating business and one that should not be considered a hobby. I remember one shipment of 10,000 that went to Saudia Arabia. They used them as bait for their falconry. Nice to have oil money to spend, 'eh?

Those dang gone pictures aren't coming up. May submit them later.

6. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Pictures finally came in. Can't get the numbers of birds we have here. This a sample anyhow.

7. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I screwed that up to. Let me try again. Third time a charm stuff and all that.

Can't curse here, biting my tongue BUT I am upset. I tried, I am down for the count. Can't get the pictures to come in. Sorry. I really do have pictures of pheasants. Maybe another time.

8. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am gonna try this one more time. If it don't work my nuclear apprenticeship might pay off with a big explosion here in the living room.

Well, I'll be standing behind a cow on a concrete floor at the wrong time. It worked.

9. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    hey if you get too many roosters later on as you go.. you give me a hollar.. ill take care of them for you:wink:

10. jrod79

jrod79 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    ive raised a bunch of pheasants. they are hard to raise but with a few tricks it can be done . i sent u a pm ill be glad to help anyway i can. ive probably raised 2 or 3 thousand over the years so i must be doing something halfway right