raising nightcrawlers - are canadian nightcrawlers harder to raise?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by aaron1, Jan 17, 2006.

1. aaron1

aaron1 New Member

State:
    TN
    i have been reading about raising worms. they say that canadian nightcrawlers are harder to raise than earthworms or red wigglers?

2. fisherdude

fisherdude New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have been raising European (not Canadian or African) nightcrawlers for about a year and find these easy to raise. They are bigger than wigglers, they prefer to be warm (about 75 degrees F) and haven't been bad about crawling off once I trained them to stay put.

3. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    Canadien nightcrawlers are the same as other worms, as long as you keep nutrients in the soil and keep the temperature right around 70-75 degrees

4. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    Nate why are you raising nightcrawlers??? you are the shad catching king

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
  6. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    Yes Steve i know where to get shad but i also need nightcrawlers for catching yellow belly's and getting big suckers

7. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Yes, the canaidian and african nightcrawlers are harder to raise then european nightcrawlers. The number one reason is that they do not like to be disturbed. Secondly, the european nightcrawler is a composting worm and will die in soil alone, unless there is alot of organic matter! Red worms are the same way and they can be raised togather. The canaidian and african nightcrawlers are burrow'ers in are found in deeper soil! They will leave or die if disturbed very much, which is the main reason they are harder to breed.