Raising my own War-mouths and goldfish

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by chris45601, Aug 19, 2007.

1. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Recently Brothers I went to the local pet shop looking around i discovered that they sell about 4 inch long gold fish at 15 doz for 24 dollars. Which at bait shops you pay 1 dollar a gold fish. Well then fishing later that night i caught 20 war-mouths, instead of releasing them i used my portable aerator to bring them home and set up a bait tank. So brothers what I'm asking is there anything I should do or anything special?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Chris there are some great articles in the BOC library that should help you keep your bait alive for longer periods of time.

3. shovelheadfanatic1

shovelheadfanatic1 New Member

State:
    ohio
    get some chemicals because the goldfish will kill the bluegills cause goldfish has amonia

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    All the fish you have will produce ammonia. What you want to do is start your bait tank off by putting just a few fish in the tank and use a very big filter. The bacteria in the filter is what degrades all the ammonia into fairly harmless chemicals. It takes a while for the bacteria to build up in the filter and if you put a bunch of fish into the tank at first most of them will die. After about a week then you can start adding more fish. It will also help if you fill the tank with some water out of a creek to start out with. Keep some gravel in there. Umm....if you live near a body of water changing the water in the tank 2-3 times a week will be very helpful for the fish. I know I'm forgetting something but I'm sure others will chime in to help.

5. catfishking35

catfishking35 New Member

State:
    ohio
    theres something called bait keeper or shad keeper sprinle a little bit of tht in there like every day or every other day and it should b fine

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    make sure you keep them cool. one major problem is letting the water get to warm which will kill them really fast. when you do your water change, make sure you use water from a creek or well. processed water has chlorine which will kill them also. i think everything else has pretty much been covered. ood luck and let us know how it works.